Home   »   UPSC Syllabus   »   Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)

Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)

Context: PMMSY is comprehensively catering to the needs of the personal insurance of fishers, fish workers, fish farmers and any other categories of persons directly involved in fishing and fisheries related allied activities.

About Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)

  • Government of India, as part of the ‘Atma Nirbhar Bharat’ package, introduced the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) with investments to the tune of Rs. 20,050 crores.
  • Mission: To bring Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of the fisheries sector in India
  • Implementation: PMMSY was implemented in all the states and union territories for a period of five years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25.
  • Through the PMMSY, it is envisaged that an estimated 68 lakh Employment will be generated by the end of 2024-25.
  • Aquaculture promotion will be undertaken especially in the saline and alkaline areas of Northern India.

 

Achievements of Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)

  • Exceptional Fisheries growth rate in last 2 years: Sector shows a growth of 14.3% from 2019-20 to 2021-22.
  • Record Production: Fish production reached an all-time high of 141.64 lakh tons during 2019-20 to 161.87 lakh tons (provisional) during 2021-22.
  • High exports: All-time high exports of 13.64 lakh tonnes valuing Rs 57,587 crores (USD 7.76 bn) dominated by exports of shrimps.
    • At present India is exporting to 123 countries.
Gaps-addressed-By-PMMSY
Gaps-addressed-By-PMMSY
  • Development of Marine fisheries: 276 deep sea fishing vessels have been approved and initiated for procurement.
    • 10 marine hatcheries for providing quality seed to the farmers have been approved.
  • Inland fisheries: For development of Inland fisheries, 20 integrated reservoir development projects have been undertaken by installing 20,622 cages.
    • Nearly 1600 ha area has been subsumed under saline and alkaline area development initiatives.
    • Earlier, Marine fish production dominated India’s total fish production. However, with adoption of science-based practices and technology in year 2019, 74% of fish production was contributed by inland fisheries and the rest 26% by marine fisheries.
  • Insurance Coverage: PMMSY has supported 31.47 lakh farmers under insurance coverage from 22 state and 7 UTs and additional 6.77 lakh farmers have been covered for livelihood and nutritional support during lean/ban period.
    • Insurance Coverage Provided Under the PMMSY Includes:
      • Rs.5,00,000/- against accidental death or permanent total disability,
      • Rs.2,50,000/- for permanent partial disability
      • Hospitalization expenses in the event of accident for a sum of Rs. 25,000/-.
  • Credit Facility: Kisan Credit Card (KCC) was extended to Fishers, Fish Farmers, Self Help Groups (SHGs), Joint Liability Groups, Women Groups, etc.

 

Sharing is caring!

Download your free content now!

Congratulations!

We have received your details!

We'll share General Studies Study Material on your E-mail Id.

Download your free content now!

We have already received your details!

We'll share General Studies Study Material on your E-mail Id.

Incorrect details? Fill the form again here

General Studies PDF

Thank You, Your details have been submitted we will get back to you.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.