Table of Contents
The Combined Defence Services (CDS) Exam, organized by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), is a national-level examination that determines the selection of candidates for entrance into prestigious institutions such as the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Indian Air Force Academy (IAFA), Indian Naval Academy (INA), and Officer Training Academy (OTA).
We’re now on WhatsApp. Click to Join
What is CDS Exam?
The CDS (Combined Defence Services) Exam is a national-level examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) in India. It aims to select candidates for admission into various defense academies, including the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Indian Naval Academy (INA), Air Force Academy (AFA), and Officers Training Academy (OTA).
The CDS exam is typically held twice a year and consists of written tests in subjects like English, General Knowledge, and Elementary Mathematics, followed by an interview process conducted by the Services Selection Board (SSB). Successful candidates are commissioned as officers in the Indian Army, Navy, or Air Force, depending on the academy.
The UPSC CDS exam is held to recruit candidates into the following armed forces:
- Indian Army
- Indian Navy
- Indian Air Force
- Naval Academy
- Officers Training Academy
CDS Exam 2024
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is set to conduct the CDS 1 Exam 2024 on April 21. This national-level competitive examination, held twice annually, aims to recruit individuals aspiring to join the defense forces such as the Army, Navy, and Air Force.
The official notification for CDS 1, scheduled to be released on April 20, will provide comprehensive details about the exam. The online application link was activated on December 20 on the UPSC’s official website. Candidates are urged to complete the application process within the specified timeframe, as submissions beyond the deadline will not be considered.
CDS Exam Overview
|CDS Exam Overview|
|Name of Exam||Combined Defence Services Examination|
|Conducted by||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Exam Frequency||Twice a year|
|Exam Duration||Two hours|
|Language of Question Paper||English and Hindi|
|Application Fee||INR 200/-|
|Exam Purpose||To select candidates as Commissioned Officers in the Indian Army, Navy, and Air Force|
|Vacancies||To be announced along with notification|
|Number of Test Cities||41|
CDS Notification 2024
The UPSC CDS notification for 2024 in PDF format is scheduled to be released on the official website on December 20, 2024. This notification encompasses various non-technical vacancies, including SSC women, providing an opportunity for candidates aspiring to join the defense forces. Aspiring candidates for CDS 2024 are advised to carefully review the notification for essential information regarding the exam.
The direct link for downloading the CDS 1 notification 2024 will be activated on December 20, offering comprehensive details about the recruitment drive, including syllabus, vacancies, exam date, and pattern. This exam is a crucial opportunity for those seeking a career in the defense sector, requiring candidates to be well-versed in all aspects for a successful outcome.
Direct Link to download CDS 1 notification 2024 (Inactive)
CDS Exam Dates 2024
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has announced the crucial dates for the CDS exam 2024. It is imperative for candidates to stay informed about these dates to ensure they don’t miss any important deadlines during their exam preparation. As soon as the UPSC releases the dates on their official website, this page will be updated with comprehensive information for both CDS 1 and 2, 2024.
CDS 1 Exam Dates 2024
|CDS 1 Notification 2024||20 December 2023|
|Online Application Activation||20 December 2023|
|Last Date to Apply||9 January 2024|
|Admit Card Release||Last Week of April 2024|
|CDS 1 Exam Date 2024||21 April 2024|
|Declaration of Result||2nd Week of May|
CDS 2 Exam Dates 2024
|CDS 2 Notification 2024||15 May 2024|
|Online Application Activation||15 May 2024|
|Last Date to Apply||04 June 2024|
|CDS 2 Exam Date 2024||01 September 2024|
|Declaration of Result||3rd Week of September|
CDS Exam Pattern
Aspirants preparing for the CDS exam in 2024 need to understand the paper pattern for effective preparation. The CDS 2024 Exam Pattern varies for Officer Training Academy (OTA) and Indian Naval Academy/Indian Military Academy/Indian Air Force, with two main sections:
CDS Exam Pattern for Indian Naval Academy/Indian Military Academy/Indian Air Force
|General Knowledge||100||2 hours|
|Elementary Mathematics||100||2 hours|
CDS Exam Pattern for Officer Training Academy (OTA)
|General Knowledge||100||2 hours|
CDS Exam Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must meet specific eligibility criteria for the CDS 2024 selection process, encompassing physical standards, nationality, education qualifications, and age limits as outlined by the UPSC. It is imperative for applicants to satisfy these conditions to progress in the selection process:
Physical and Medical Standards
For admission to the Combined Defence Services Examination (II), 2022, candidates must meet specific physical fitness criteria outlined in the official CDS notification. Armed Forces Medical Services Medical Officers conduct thorough medical examinations, and the Board of Medical Officers’ decision is final.
Candidates need to be in good physical and mental health, free of any condition that could hinder military duties in various environments and conditions. They should not require frequent medical visits, aids, or drugs.
Medical examinations focus on intelligence, hearing, vision, speech, glandular swelling, cardiovascular and respiratory health, limb development, joint functionality, absence of hernia, well-formed feet, and absence of congenital malformations. Candidates should show no signs of past acute or chronic illnesses indicating impaired constitution.
CDS Eligibility: Height & Weight Standards
- Male candidates must be at least 157 cm tall, with exceptions for Gorkhas and candidates from specific regions.
- Female candidates must be at least 152 cm tall, with exceptions for Gorkhas and candidates from specific regions.
Candidates must not have any eye defects. Refractive surgery (PRK/LASIK/SMILE) is allowed for all branches except special forces personnel like submarines, divers, and MARCO. Radial Keratotomy disqualifies candidates for recruitment.
In summary, candidates must be physically and mentally fit, meeting specified height, weight, and visual standards, with exceptions for certain regions and special forces personnel.
To qualify for the CDS exam 2024, candidates must be either:
- Citizens of India
- Subjects of Nepal/Bhutan
- Tibetan refugees who migrated to India before January 01, 1962, with the intention of permanent settlement.
CDS Educational Qualification
Educational criteria for different job posts are as follows:
|Indian Air Force Academy||Candidates must have a degree from a recognized University (with Physics and
Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering.
|Indian Military Academy & Officers’ Training Academy||Candidates must have a degree or equivalent from a recognized university|
|Indian Naval Academy||Candidates must have an engineering degree from a recognized university or institute.|
CDS Age Limit
The commission has established a fixed age limit for all posts. Aspirants must fall within the specified criteria, failing which their candidature can be cancelled at any stage of the selection process. The CDS age limit for all posts is 20 to 24 years, implying:
- For IMA, INA, AFA: Candidates must be born between 2nd Jan 2001 and 1st Jan 2006.
- For Officers’ Training Academy (Men and Women): Candidates must be born between 2nd Jan 2000 and 1st Jan 2006.
CDS Exam Syllabus
|CDS English Syllabus||
|CDS Maths Syllabus||
|CDS General Knowledge Syllabus||
|CDS OTA Syllabus||
CDS 2024 Salary
During the training period, officers at the equivalent levels in the Army, Navy, and Air Force will receive a fixed stipend, currently set at ₹56,100 per month.
CDS Officer Salary at Different Ranks
|Rank||Level||CDS In Hand Salary|
|Lieutenant||10||₹56,100 – ₹1,77,500|
|Captain||10B||₹61,300 – ₹1,93,900|
|Major||11||₹69,400 – ₹2,07,200|
|Lieutenant Colonel||12A||₹1,21,200 – ₹2,12,400|
|Colonel||13||₹1,30,600 – ₹2,15,900|
|Brigadier||13A||₹1,39,600 – ₹2,17,600|
|Major General||14||₹1,44,200 – ₹2,18,200|
|Lieutenant General HAG Scale||15||₹1,82,200 – ₹2,24,100|
|HAG+Scale||16||₹2,05,400 – ₹2,24,400|
|VCOAS/Army Cdr/ Lieutenant General (NFSG)||17||₹2,25,000/- (fixed)|
CDS Career Growth and Promotion
The career growth and promotions for CDS officers during their tenure are as follows:
- Lieutenant: Promotion after completion of training.
- Captain: Two years of commissioned service.
- Major: Six years of commissioned service.
- Lieutenant Colonel: Thirteen years of commissioned service.
- Colonel: Fifteen years of commissioned service.
- Colonel (TS): Twenty-six years of commissioned service.
- Major General: Twenty-five years of commissioned service.
- Brigadier: Twenty-three years of commissioned service.
- Lieutenant General: Twenty-eight years of commissioned service.
- General: No restrictions.
CDS Exam Important Instructions
- Write only in black ballpoint pen.
- In the appropriate space on the answer sheet, provide your Centre and subject, followed by the CDS 2024 test booklet series (in brackets), subject code, and the exam roll number.
- Encode your CDS 2024 booklet series (A, B, C, or D), subject code, and roll number in the circles provided on the answer sheet.
- If the CDS booklet series is not printed on the test booklet or the answer sheet is unnumbered, report immediately to the invigilator for replacement.
- Any omission/mistakes/discrepancy in encoding/filling details, especially Roll Number and Test Booklet Series Code, may lead to rejection of the answer sheet.
- Before starting the CDS 2024, check the test booklet for any unprinted, torn, or missing pages/items. If found, replace it with a complete test booklet of the same series and subject.
- Do not write your name or anything other than the specific items of information on the CDS answer sheet/test booklet/sheet for rough work.
- Do not fold, damage, or put extraneous markings on the CDS Answer Sheet. Avoid writing on the reverse side of the answer sheet.