The Hindu Newspaper Analysis for UPSC
- India’s uptick in outbound shipments was largely led by petroleum, up 27% to $94.5 billion, followed by electronics goods that rose 7.9% to $23.6 billion.
- The other three of India’s top five export items registered insignificant growth: rice (up 1.5%), chemicals (1%), and drugs and pharmaceuticals (0.8%). Petroleum exports now account for 21.1% of total exports, up from 16% in 2021-22.
India’s Forex Reserve include:
- Foreign Currency Assets
- Gold reserves
- Special Drawing Rights
- Reserve position with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
Special Drawing Rights
- The SDR is an international reserve asset, created by the IMF in 1969 to supplement its member countries’ official reserves.
- The SDR is neither a currency nor a claim on the IMF. Rather, it is a potential claim on the freely usable currencies of IMF members. SDRs can be exchanged for these currencies.
- The value of the SDR is calculated from a weighted basket of major currencies, including the US dollar, the euro, Japanese yen, Chinese yuan, and British pound
Reserve Position in the International Monetary Fund
- A reserve tranche position implies a portion of the required quota of currency each member country must provide to the IMF that can be utilized for its own purposes.
- The reserve tranche is basically an emergency account that IMF members can access at any time without agreeing to conditions or paying a service fee.
- Greeting Tamilians on the occasion of Puthandu, the Tamil New Year, Prime Minister Narendra Modi harked back to ancient Tamil culture and the various references to democratic politics in it, stating that an over 1,100 year old inscription from Tamil Nadu talks about rules for a local body, including provisions for disqualifying a member.
- He added that Tamil Nadu’s Uthirameur, an inscription around 1100-1200 years old, gives a glimpse of democratic values in the country.
- Russia is a historical partner which India has deep defence ties with and there is no easy, immediate alternative here.
- What India has done is to try and navigate this maze of geopolitics through realpolitik — it has refused to condemn Russia, maintained defence and trade ties, as well as expressed its uneasiness with the war and called for respecting the territorial integrity of all nations. But as the war drags on, this balancing act could be interpreted as inactiveness.
- India is the chair of the G-20 and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and will be pressed to do more to show global leadership and help end the war.
- The conflict has hurt not only Europe but also the entire world and there is growing consensus among the countries in the Global South that the hostilities should cease at the earliest.
- China and Brazil have sensed this urgency and have hinted at playing a bigger role in brokering peace. India should not shy away.
About Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY)
- It is a scheme launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister on April 8, 2015, for providing loans up to 10 lakh to non-corporate, non-farm small/micro enterprises.
- These loans are classified as MUDRA loans under PMMY.
- Major aspects: Under PMMY loans are provided up to Rs. 10 Lakh through Member Lending Institutions (MLIs) viz; Banks, Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs), Micro Financial Institutions (MFIs), other financial intermediaries, in three categories namely, ‘Shishu’, ‘Kishore’ and ‘Tarun’ which signifies the stage of growth or development and funding needs of the borrowers.
- Shishu: covering loans up to 50,000/-
- Kishore: covering loans above 50,000/- and up to Rs. 5 lakh
- Tarun: covering loans above 5 lakh and up to Rs. 10 lakh
- Objectives: To signify the stage of growth/development and funding needs of the beneficiary micro unit/entrepreneur and also provide a reference point for the next phase of graduation/growth.
Q) State Energy Efficiency Index (SEEI) is released by
- NITI Aayog
- National Solar Energy Federation of India
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
- Ministry of Power
राज्य ऊर्जा दक्षता सूचकांक (SEEI) द्वारा जारी किया जाता है
- नीति आयोग
- नेशनल सोलर एनर्जी फेडरेशन ऑफ इंडिया
- नवीन और नवीकरणीय ऊर्जा मंत्रालय
- विद्युत मंत्रालय
- Context: The Ministry of Power has released the State Energy Efficiency Index (SEEI) 2021-22.
Q) The provisions in the Tenth Schedule in the Constitution of India are made in order to
- determine the emoluments, allowances, privileges and so on of certain
- Constitutional authorities allocate seats in the Rajya Sabha to the States and the Union Territories
- determine the criteria related to disqualification of Members of Parliament and State Legislatures on ground of defection
- determine the powers, authorities, and responsibilities of Panchayats
भारत के संविधान में दसवीं अनुसूची में प्रावधान किए गए हैं
- निश्चित रूप से उपलब्धियां, भत्ते, विशेषाधिकार आदि निर्धारित करें
- राज्य सभा में राज्यों और संघ को सीटें आवंटित करना
- दल–बदल के आधार पर संसद और राज्य विधानमंडल के सदस्यों की अयोग्यता से संबंधित मानदंड निर्धारित करें
- पंचायतों की शक्तियों, अधिकारियों और जिम्मेदारियों को निर्धारित करता है
About Anti-Defection Law:
- Introduced through the 52nd Amendment Act of 1985 – inserted in the Tenth Schedule of the Indian Constitution.
- It lays down the process of disqualification on grounds of defection.
- The presiding officer has the authority to disqualify a member on proven grounds of defection.
- To prevent the legislators from changing their political affiliations during their tenure in office.
Q) Consider the following statements about Project Elephant:
- It is an elephant conservation programme launched in 1973 by the Government of India during Prime Minister Indira Gandhi’s tenure.
- It is a Centrally-sponsored scheme.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
प्रोजेक्ट एलिफेंट के बारे में निम्नलिखित कथनों पर विचार करें:
- यह प्रधान मंत्री इंदिरा गांधी के कार्यकाल के दौरान भारत सरकार द्वारा 1973 में शुरू किया गया एक हाथी संरक्षण कार्यक्रम है।
- यह एक केंद्र प्रायोजित योजना है।
उपरोक्त कथनों में से कौन-सा/से सही है/हैं?
- केवल 1
- केवल 2
- 1 और 2 दोनों
- न तो 1 और न ही 2
Q) During the colonial period in India, what was the purpose of the Whitley Commission?
- To develop a comprehensive scheme for Civil Services in India
- To report on existing conditions of labour and to make recommendations
- To draw up a plan for financial reforms for India
- To review the fitness of India for further political reforms
भारत में औपनिवेशिक काल के दौरान व्हिटली आयोग का उद्देश्य क्या था?
- भारत में सिविल सेवा के लिए एक व्यापक योजना विकसित करना
- श्रम की मौजूदा स्थितियों पर रिपोर्ट करने और सिफारिशें करने के लिए
- भारत के लिए वित्तीय सुधारों की योजना तैयार करना
- आगे के राजनीतिक सुधारों के लिए भारत की फिटनेस की समीक्षा करना
- The Royal Commission on Labour or the Whitley Commission on Labour was set up in 1929 to inquire into the existing conditions of labour in industrial undertakings and plantations in India.