What is eSanjeevani Portal
About eSanjeevani: It is a national telemedicine service that strives to provide an alternative to the conventional physical consultations via digital platform.
Launch: eSanjeevani was launched in 2019. The first state to launch this service was Andhra Pradesh.
Concerned Ministry: Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
Integration with ABDM: In June 2022, the National Health Authority (NHA) announced the successful integration of eSanjeevani with its flagship scheme – Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM).
Read About: Calling Name Presentation (CNAP)
eSanjeevani OPD News
The last 1 crore consultations were recorded in a remarkable time frame of around 5 weeks, signaling a wider adoption of telemedicine.
eSanjeevani OPD trains and onboards 2, 22,026 specialists, doctors and health workers.
More than 45,000 ABHA (Ayushman Bharat Health Account) IDs have been generated via eSanjeevani application.
Leading ten states for usage of this platform are: Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Telangana and Gujarat.
Read about: Gasht-e Ershad
Important features of eSanjeevani
‘eSanjeevani’, is a web-based comprehensive telemedicine solution.
It is modeled on ‘Sanjeevani’ C-DAC Mohali’s’ flagship integrated telemedicine solution.
It extends the reach of specialized healthcare services to masses in both rural areas and isolated communities.
It also aims to make healthcare services equitable by bridging the digital divide that exists between the urban vs. rural, rich vs. poor etc.
eSanjeevani can also be used to provide medical education to interns, people across various Common Service Centers (CSCs), etc.
Read about: Postal Ballot
Two Verticals of eSanjeevani
Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centres (AB-HWCs) Programme
- It endeavors to bridge rural-urban digital health divide by providing assisted teleconsultations.
- It ensures that e-beneficiaries of Ayushman Bharat Scheme are able to avail of the benefits they are entitled to.
- This vertical operates on a Hub-and-Spoke model wherein the AB-HWCs set up at state level, act as spokes, are mapped with the hub (comprising MBBS/ Specialty/Super-Specialty doctors) at zonal level.
eSanjeevani in OPD
- It leverages technology via smartphones, tablets, and laptops enabling doctor consultations to be accessible from the patient’s residence regardless of location.
- It caters to citizens in both rural and urban areas.
- This platform has an impressive record of having served over 4.34 lakhs patients in one day.
Read about: bamboo in India
Significance of eSanjeevani OPD
Addressing Urban-Rural Divide: Telemedicine platforms can be a gamechanger for people in the rural areas who do not have easy access to medical specialists located in cities.
Transportation: Patients can avoid spending money on fuel or wasting time in traffic with video consultations.
No Missing Work: Today, individuals can schedule a consultation during a work break or even after work hours.
Childcare/Eldercare Challenges: Those who struggle to find care options can use telemedicine solutions.
Control of Infectious Illness: To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, flu and other infectious diseases, doctors can use it to prescreen patients for possible infectious disease.
Vision of Digital India: These platforms are in line with the government’s vision of ‘Digital India’ and necessary to tackle situations like Covid-19.