About the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme Launch Date: It was launched by the government of India in January 2015 with an aim to address the declining Child Sex Ratio and related issues of empowerment of Women over a lifecycle continuum.
- Background for the launch:
- The Census 2011 data showed a significant declining trend in the Child Sex Ratio (CSR), calculated as a number of girls for every 1000 boys between the age group of 0-6 years, with an all-time low of 918 in 2011 from 976 in 1961.
- This is an alarming indicator of women disempowerment which reflects both pre-birth discriminations manifested through gender-biased sex selection and post-birth discrimination against girls.
- The decline is widespread across the country and has expanded to rural as well as tribal areas.
- Alarmed by the sharp decline, the Government of India has introduced the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Programme to address the issue of decline in CSR in 100 gender critical districts.
- Ministry: Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- Main objectives of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme:
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Slogan Importance
- It is implemented by states with 100% central assistance.
- Under, BBBP scheme there is no provision of direct benefit transfer.
- The scheme has two major components.
- Mass Communication Campaign on Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
- Multi-Sectoral interventions in 100 Gender Critical Districts covering all States
- In July 2022, the government issued guidelines to extend the scheme to all districts in the country.
- Beneficiaries: Key beneficiaries under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao BBBP initiative are as follows:
|Primary Segment||Young and newly married couples; pregnant and lactating mothers; and parents|
|Secondary Segment||Youth, adolescents (girls and boys), in-laws, medical doctors/ practitioners, private hospitals, nursing homes and diagnostic centres|
|Tertiary Segment||Officials, PRIs, frontline workers, women SHGs/collectives, religious leaders, voluntary organizations, media, medical associations, industry associations and the people at large|
- Initiatives by the districts: Under this scheme, several initiatives have been undertaken by districts to build consciousness among target groups and other stakeholders.
- Here is the List of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme Initiatives.
|Digital Guddi-Gudda Board||A digital platform for exhibiting gender disparity in birth rates and providing information on schemes and programmes created for safeguarding the girl child|
|Udaan – Sapne Di Duniya De Rubaru||Initiative offering girls an opportunity to shadow professionals in fields of their choice|
|My Aim My Target Campaign||Recognition programme to felicitate top academic performances by girls in higher secondary schools|
|Lakshya Se Rubaru||Internship programme for female students in colleges – for encouraging them to make informed decisions about their careers|
|Bitiya and Birba||Awareness campaign on the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) initiative, along with environmental protection. Under this, each mother of a newly born girl child is celebrated and honored with a plant|
|Noor Jeevan Ka Betiyan||A week-long campaign celebrated with gender empowerment theme-based interactive activities organised in Panchayats, schools, and colleges|
|Collector Ki Class||Initiative offering free coaching classes and career counselling for underprivileged girls in public schools and colleges|
|Bal Cabinet||Youth leadership programme where girl students simulate government cabinets and ministerial roles to discuss and resolve issues|
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Yojana New Elements
- A new aim of ensuring one per cent increment in enrolment at the secondary level and skilling of girls and women every year.
- Raising awareness about safe menstrual hygiene.
- Promulgating elimination of child marriages.
- Multi-ministerial convergence, including the ministries of skill development and entrepreneurship, minority affairs, sports and youth affairs, among others to avoid duplication of efforts and effective implementation of the scheme.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme Benefits
- Sex Ratio at Birth: It has improved by 16 points from 918 (2014-15) to 934 (2019-20), as per the Health Management Information System (HMIS) data.
- Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER): GER of girls in the schools at secondary level has improved from 77.45 (2014-15) to 81.32 (2018-19).
- Toilet for girls: Percentage of schools with functional separate toilets for girls has shown improvement from 92.1% in 2014-15 to 95.1% in 2018-19.
- ANC Registration: Percentage of 1st Trimester ANC (AnteNatal Care) Registration has shown an improving trend from 61% in 2014-15 to 71% in 2019-20.
- Institutional Deliveries: Percentage of Institutional Deliveries has shown an improving trend from 87% in 2014-15 to 94% in 2019-20.
- Awareness and Attitudinal Change:
- The scheme has resulted in increased awareness and sensitization of the masses regarding the prevalence of gender bias and the role of the community in eradicating it.
- It has been able to bring the focus on the important issue of female infanticide, lack of education amongst girls and deprivation of their rights on a life cycle continuum.
- The scheme has successfully engaged with the Community to defy the age-old biases against the girl child and introduce innovative practices to celebrate the girl child.