Q9. ‘Virus of Conflict is affecting the functioning of the SCO’. In the light of the above statement point out the role of India in mitigating problems. (10m)
The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), is a political, economic, and security alliance of 9 countries. India, recently chaired the SCO’s 2023 virtual summit.
SCO is focused on promoting cooperation and stability in Eurasia, but its ability to cope with intra-state and inter-state conflicts among member states has been a major concern.
Conflicts affecting functioning of SCO
- Conflicting between Central Asian Countries – access to hydrocarbons
- Power Rivalries
- India- China rivalry for regional hegemony
Eg. Doklam standoff, BRI (Belt and Road initiative) Vs Asia-Africa growth corridor,
- India- Pakistan conflict related to boundary dispute, cross border terrorism
Eg. Uri, Pathankot, Militancy in Kashmir
- China- Russian competition for global power status
- Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan over Border Issues
- Afghanistan – Taliban – Pakistan
Role of India in resolving conflicts
- Promotion of Dialogue: India can promote the principle of peaceful dialogue and conflict resolution as outlined in the SCO Charter. E.g. India can leverage its diplomatic capabilities to mediate in the ongoing border dispute between Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan..
- Confidence-Building Measures: can help reduce tensions and enhance trust among member states.
- Track II Diplomacy: can help create an environment conducive to conflict resolution. E.g. India’s involvement in Track II dialogues between China and other South Asian countries
- Focus on Economic cooperation and regional integration: for conflict resolution. India can promote economic development initiatives and trade agreements within the SCO, which can help address the underlying causes of conflicts. E.g INSTC
- Promoting cultural exchanges and people-to-people contacts can foster mutual understanding and reduce tensions within the SCO.
- Stressing the adherence to International norms like the United Nations Charter, to resolve conflicts.
By drawing on its own experiences in conflict resolution and cooperation with neighbouring countries, India can contribute to stability and peace in the SCO region, enhancing its standing as a responsible member of the organization.
Check out the UPSC Mains GS Paper 2 2023 Analysis with detailed expatiation of the topics of Mains GS Paper 2 By the Study IQ Experts