Table of Contents
IAS Officer Salary varies as per post which follows by 7th Pay Commission, and the level of payment is IAS officers starting salary is INR 56,100 per month, this is excluding allowances like TA, DA and HRA and it will reach up to INR 2,50,000 at the post of Cabinet Secretary which highest post of IAS Officer which is selected by the UPSC. IAS also receive a grade pay, which varies on the position held. It ranges from INR 5,400 for Junior Scale officers to INR 10,000 for the position Cabinet Secretary which is highest post in Civil Services
What is IAS Salary?
Basic overview of IAS Officers Salary in India is provided here with other information. Additional to the IAS Salary, aspirants are drawn to the pride and respect associated with working for the government. Power, responsibility, and the chance to serve nation all play significant roles. Check out the IAS Salary overview below in the table:
|IAS Salary Overview|
|IAS Salary||IAS Salary Details|
|IAS Starting Salary||₹56100|
|Salary of IAS Officer During Training||Approx. ₹33,000–35,000 varies as per deductions|
|IAS Salary after 8 years of Service||₹1,31,249 per month or ₹15.75 lakh per year|
|Highest salary of IAS officer||₹2,50,000|
|IAS Salary Pay Commission||7th Pay Commission|
|IAS Salary & Allowances||DA, HRA, TA (Travel Allowances)|
We’re now on WhatsApp. Click to Join
UPSC IAS Job Profile
|Training Period||Probationary Officer||Induction training, Foundation training, Field training and exposure|
|Early Years||Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM)||Administrative head of a sub-division, Revenue administration. Law and order maintenance|
|5-8 years||Additional District Magistrate (ADM)||Supervision of developmental work, Crisis management, Revenue administration|
|9-12 years||District Magistrate (DM) or Deputy Secretary||District administration and development, Law and order maintenance, Policy implementation|
|13-16 years||Divisional Commissioner or Director||Overseeing multiple districts, Coordination and policy implementation at divisional level|
|16-24 years||Secretary-cum-Commissioner or Joint Secretary||Departmental head, Formulating and implementing policies at the state level|
|25-30 years||Principal Secretary or Additional Secretary||Senior bureaucratic role, Policy formulation and implementation at the state level|
|30-33 years||Additional Chief Secretary||Overseeing entire departments, Advising the government on policy matters|
|34-36 years||Chief Secretary and Secretary||Chief executive of the state administration, Liaison with the central government|
|37+ years||Cabinet Secretary of India||Head of the Civil Services, Advising the Prime Minister and the President|
IAS Salary Post wise
IAS Officers salary after clearing Civil Services would be INR 56,100 without the allowances like HRA, TA and DA. The Highest IAS Officer Salary per month is the Cabinet Secretary Salary which is ₹250000 INR. The salary of IAS would be the same at the entry level of all the newly recruited IAS officers, and it would increase with tenure and promotions.
|IAS Officers Rank Wise Post||Basic Pay||Pay Level||Total Years of Service|
|SDM, Undersecretary, Assistant Secretary||₹56100||10||1-4 years|
|ADM, Deputy Secretary, Undersecretary||₹67,700||11||5-8 years|
|District Magistrate, Joint Secretary, Deputy Secretary||₹78,800||12||9-12 years|
|District Magistrate, Deputy Secretary, Director||₹1,18,500||13||13-16 years|
|Divisional Commissioner, Secretary-cum-Commissioner, Joint Secretary||₹1,44,200||14||16-24 years|
|Divisional Commissioner, Principal Secretary, Additional Secretary||₹1,82,200||15||25-30 years|
|Additional Chief Secretary||₹2,05,400||16||30-33 years|
|Chief Secretary and Secretary||₹2,25,000||17||34-36 years|
|Cabinet Secretary of India||₹2,50,000||18||37+ years|
IAS Officer Salary after 7th Pay Commission
The “Pay Grade for Civil Services” method was previously used to determine IAS officer salaries, however the 7th Central Pay Commission has since implemented “Consolidated Pay Levels.” Therefore, the ‘Basic Pay’ coupled with DA, TA, and HRA will now serve as the only basis for determining the IAS salary in India and the pay scale. Because of this, even at the beginning level, the IAS officer remuneration will be excellent.
The 7th Pay Commission is the most recent pay commission that is used to determine IAS Officer Salary in India. See below for the IAS salary according to the 6th Pay Commission. This was the previous organization that was used.
|Changes in IAS Salary Structure|
|Total years required in service||Officers Grade||Position of the Officer||Pay Scale|
|—||Junior or Lower Time Scale||Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM), SDO, or Sub-Collector (after 2 years of probation)||15600 – 39100|
|5||Senior Time Scale||District Magistrate (DM) or Collector or a Joint Secretary of a Government Ministry||15600 – 39100|
|9||Junior Administrative||Special Secretary or the Head of Various Government Departments||15600 – 39100|
|12 – 15||Selection Grade||Secretary to a Ministry||37400 – 67000|
|17 – 20||Super Time Scale||Principal Secretary of a Very Important Department of the Government||37400 – 67000|
|Varies||Above Super Time Scale||Varies||37400 – 67000|
|Varies||Apex Scale||Chief Secretary of States, Union Secretaries in charge of various ministries of the Government of India||80000 (Fixed)|
|Varies||Cabinet Secretary Grade||Cabinet Secretary of India||90000 (Fixed)|
Get latest : UPSC Current Affairs
IAS Officer Grade Pay
In IAS salary in India per month is been classified into 8 grades with varied pay scales and grade pay. Each level also has a specified number of years of service.
|Post||Grade Pay of IAS Officer|
|Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM), SDO, or Sub-Collector (after 2 years of probation)||5400|
|District Magistrate (DM) or Collector or a Joint Secretary of a Government Ministry||6600|
|Special Secretary or the Head of Various Government Departments||7600|
|Secretary to a Ministry||8700|
|Principal Secretary of a Very Important Department of the Government||8700|
|Chief Secretary of States, Union Secretaries in charge of various ministries of the Government of India||NA|
|Cabinet Secretary of India||NA|
- IAS junior scale pay scale is from 50,000 to 1,50,000 with a grade pay of 16,500. No prior experience is necessary for this entry-level position.
- Senior Time Scale: 50,000-1,50,000 Pay Scale with a 20,000 Rupee Grade Pay. There should be 5 years of service.
- Junior Administrative Grade: Rs. 50,000–1,50,02 pay range with a Rs. 23,000 grade pay. Nine years of service are necessary.
Highest salary of IAS officer is at post of Cabinet Secretary, with a pay scale of 250,000 (Fixed) and a range of years of service.
IAS Officer Salary Video Explanation
IAS Salary Perks
In addition to the basic UPSC IAS salary and allowances, IAS officers enjoy a range of additional perks as part of their overall compensation package. Here are some common benefits:
- Official Residence: IAS officers are either provided with an official accommodation or receive a house rent allowance if no official residence is available.
- Domestic Help: IAS officers are entitled to domestic help services, including a cook, gardener, and attendant.
- Medical Facilities: IAS officers and their dependents receive medical benefits at government hospitals and dispensaries.
- Travel Allowances: IAS officers are granted travel allowances for official tours and deputations.
- Study Leave: IAS officers have the option to take study leave to pursue higher education or training programs.
- Retirement Benefits: Upon retirement, IAS officers are entitled to pension and other retirement benefits.
- Security: Depending on the perceived threat level, IAS officers are provided with security personnel.
- Office Facilities: IAS officers receive office facilities, including a computer, printer, and internet connection.
- Telephone Bill Reimbursement: IAS officers are eligible for the reimbursement of their telephone bills.
- Leave Travel Concession: IAS officers can avail of leave travel concession for travel within India.
IAS Officer Salary per Month 2023
According to the most recent 7th Pay Commission, the starting and entry-level IAS Officer Salary is 56100, which increases to 56100 – 132000 each month. The monthly IAS salary in India rises with experience and with each promotion. The Cabinet Secretary, the top position in India, earns about RS 250,000 per month. This comes after serving as an IAS official for more than 37 years. The monthly IAS salary also includes DA, which is 9%, for a total of Rs 2.5 lakh + 9% per month, or around Rs 32.7 lakh annually.
IAS Officer Salary and Allowances
There are a number of additional allowances and components in addition to the basic salary in the IAS salary for 2023. According to 7th Pay Commission guidelines, the HRA allowance is 24%, 16%, and 8%. The city to which you are posted determines the HRA. Additionally, HRA will be enhanced when DA surpasses 50% and 100% in accordance with the 7th Pay Commission. However, the IAS officer wage structure does not include a raise for the Transport Allowance. The DA, which is 125%, and the TA have been combined.
- HRA in Class X- Only 8 Cities has- 24% HRA Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, (Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, and Pune)
- HRA in Class Y- Approximately 100 Towns has (With a Population above 5 Lakhs) – 16% HRA
- HRA in Class Z- In Rural Areas – It is 8% HRA
IAS Officer Salary and Facilities
The powers and facilities within the Job of an Officer IAS are unmatched by any other profession. The list of benefits obtained by an IAS officer is shown below, in addition to the excellent IAS income per month in hand:
- Security: An officer is given a security guard for himself and his family due to the high profile and frequently dangerous nature of the job. They also receive STF commandos when there is a threat to their lives.
- Residence: IAS officers are given housing with either very low or no rent. Additionally, they offered the services of butlers, cooks, maids, gardeners, and security personnel.
- Transport: For formal purposes, they are given access to automobiles with a driver.
- Subsidized Bills: Officers typically receive heavily discounted rates on gas, water, and electricity.
- Trips: When officers travel to Delhi, they can stay at Government guest homes for a reduced rate. They might utilize the lodging offered in the relevant state Bhavan.
- Job security: IAS officers have a secure position because it is difficult to terminate an officer and the procedure necessitates a thorough investigation as required by the constitution.
- Study leaves: IAS officers are granted a formal 2–4-year study leave, which is a fantastic perk. They can also enroll in programs at reputable international universities; the government will cover the costs. An officer must have served a minimum of seven years in the military in order to be able to use this facility, and they must also sign a bond stipulating that they will return to the government and serve for a set period of time.
- Post-retirement benefits: IAS officers may be appointed to commissions and tribunals as post-retirement benefits. A lot of officers are also sought after by private consulting firms due to their priceless administrative experience.
IAS Salary Slip
Highest Salary of IAS Officer
The highest salary for an IAS officer is ₹2,50,000 per month. This is for the post of Cabinet Secretary, which is level 18 on the pay scale. The Cabinet Secretary position requires at least 37 years of service.
The salary for an entry-level IAS officer is ₹56,100 per month. This is for level 10 on the pay scale. IAS officers also receive grade pay, which ranges from ₹5,400 for Junior Scale officers to ₹10,000 for the Cabinet Secretary. The monthly IAS salary also includes a 9% DA. This adds up to about ₹32.7 lakh per year.
IAS promotions are contingent upon both the duration of service and performance assessments. The following table outlines the typical progression timeline for IAS officers:
|Years in Service||Designation|
|5-8 years||Additional District Magistrate (ADM)|
|9-12 years||District Magistrate (DM) or Deputy Secretary|
|13-16 years||Divisional Commissioner or Director|
|16-24 years||Secretary-cum-Commissioner or Joint Secretary|
|25-30 years||Principal Secretary or Additional Secretary|
|30-33 years||Additional Chief Secretary|
|34-36 years||Chief Secretary and Secretary|
|37+ years||Cabinet Secretary of India|
In this progression, officers move through various administrative roles, gaining responsibilities and authority as they advance in their careers.
IAS vs IPS Salary
Most of the time, the salaries for IAS and IPS are identical. INR 56,100 is the starting wage for both IAS and IPS officers, before TA, DA, and HRA. A Cabinet Secretary may receive the highest monthly salary of an IAS officer, which is up to INR 2,50,000. Similar to a DGP, an IPS can earn up to INR 2,50,000 as their highest salary. As you can see, the pay is the same, but it also depends on the position and seniority.
IFS vs IAS Salary
Depending on seniority, the IAS compensation ranges from 56,100 to 2,50,000. However, an IFS officer’s pay range ranges from 15,600 to 39,100. And a Cabinet Secretary may earn up to INR 90,000 annually as an IFS officer in India. Not to mention, the country in which IFS officers are deployed determines their pay. IFS personnel stationed outside of India receive a foreign allowance, which significantly alters the entire wage structure. However, in India, the IAS remuneration unquestionably exceeds that of an IFS officer.