Context: The Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) administration is executing a High Density Plantation scheme with a multi-pronged strategy to make the UT a leading region in Horticulture.
About High Density Plantation Scheme
- The measures being undertaken under the scheme:
- New scientific techniques and methods are being brought in, for the farmers to help them produce world class fruits.
- Government will provide assistance of 50 % of the cost of planting material to the farmers through DBT mode.
- An online portal inclusive of Monitoring Information System (MIS) has been put in place for registration of both eligible nursery growers and farmers for smooth implementation of the scheme.
- Administration is trying to get more growers inclined towards the high density plantation and have also encouraged private players to help fruit growers to set up such orchards across Kashmir.
- High density plantations importance:
- Superior yields
- Higher yields per hectare
- Early harvest
- Introduction of insect and pest- resistant varieties thereby saving the expenditure on disease and pest control.
- The expected outcomes from the scheme:
- It can drive the change in horticulture landscape of JK.
- It can increase horticulture export from the state, thereby increasing income of farmers.
- Given the conducive ecological conditions to develop horticulture, the present move is in right direction to make the Kashmir region the ‘Horticulture Orchard‘ of India.