- The interventions in the Palghar District of Maharashtra, for the implementation of the ‘Small Scale Floriculture Business Model‘, have resulted in an impactful ‘Flower Value Chain’.
About the Floriculture Model
- The following prevalent situation in the Palghar region demanded a change to better farmers’ lives:
- Situated in the Western Ghats and one of the tribal regions in Maharashtra, Agriculture in the region is predominantly rain-fed.
- Due to low productivity, farm production is not enough to feed the families for the entire year and hence during the off-season, tribal families migrate to nearby cities in search of wage labour.
- Under Floriculture, Jasmine Cultivation was introduced in 2017, with the following Key strategies and Interventions:
- The advantages of the model include:
- It can be practised on sloppy, wasteland
- Limited seed capital required
- It ensures round-the-year income
- More value additions resulting in greater potential from farming
- The Value Chain that has resulted in increased income for farmers is as below:
- The impact of the model is evident from increased income and production to the farmers