Daily Current Affairs for UPSC 2023
Q) Recently seen in news, “Vision 2030” Plan is best related to which one of the following countries?
- Saudi Arabia
- Option (2) is correct: Vision 2030 was launched Saudi Arabia. Vision 2030 is built around three primary themes: a vibrant society, a thriving economy and an ambitious nation. The historic vision was developed by the Council of Economic and Development Affairs, which is chaired by Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. It calls for diversifying the oil-dependent economy by attracting tourism and foreign investment, drawing millions of expatriates to the kingdom and turning it into a global hub for business and culture.
Q) Consider the following statements:
- The provisions of Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002 are applicable to companies and individual persons.
- The trading of cryptocurrency and digital assets are within the ambit of the PMLA.
- The Enforcement Directorate (ED) is responsible for investigating the offenses of money laundering under the PMLA.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
- Statement 1 is correct: The Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002 was enacted to combat money laundering with the following objectives.
- To prevent and control money laundering.
- To provide for confiscation and seizure of property obtained from laundered money.
- The PMLA is applicable to all persons which include individuals, companies, firms, partnership firms, associations of persons or incorporations and any agency, office or branch owned or controlled by any of the above-mentioned persons. Under the PMLA, the burden of proof lies with the accused, who has to prove that the suspect property/assets have not been obtained through the proceeds of crime.
- Statement 2 is correct: The central government has recently brought the trading of cryptocurrency and digital assets within the ambit of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) 2002 through a gazette notification.
Statement 3 is correct: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) in the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance, the Government of India is responsible for investigating the offenses of money laundering under the PMLA. ED is a law enforcement agency and economic intelligence agency responsible for enforcing economic laws and fighting economic crime in India. As per Sections 48 & 49 of the PMLA, the officers of the Directorate of Enforcement have been given powers to investigate cases of Money Laundering. The officers have also been authorized to initiate proceedings for attachment of property and to launch prosecution in the designated Special Court.
Q) Recently seen in news, term “glowscope” is best related to
- Device that is used to study the light of distant stars.
- Device that could democratize access to fluorescence microscopy.
- Device that is used to study structure and life in deep oceanic trenches.
- None of the above
- Option (2) is correct: Researchers have developed ‘glowscope’, a device that could democratize access to fluorescence microscopy. A fluorescence microscope can observe an object by studying how it re-emits light that it has absorbed. In comparison, the optical microscope views an object by studying how it absorbs, reflects, or scatters visible light.
Q) With reference to Kuno National Park, consider the following statements:
- Kuno National Park is located in Karnataka.
- It is part of the Khathiar-Gir tropical dry deciduous forests.
Which of the statements given above is/are not correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
- Statement 1 is incorrect: Kuno National Park is located in the Sheopur district of MP. It was set up in 1981 as a wildlife sanctuary. In 2018, it was given the status of a national park. Topography: Kuno River a tributary of the Chambal River flows through the National Park. It is located in the Vindhyan hills adjoining Rajasthan.
- Statement 2 is correct: Kuno National Park is currently home to Indian wolves, jackals, leopards, langur monkeys, blue-bull, chinkara, and spotted deer. It is part of the Khathiar-Gir tropical dry deciduous forests. The vegetation is dominated by the “Kardhai”, “Khair” and “Salai” trees.
Q) Recently seen in news, ‘Mount Merapi’ is located in
- Option (3) is correct: Indonesia’s Mount Merapi, located near Yogyakarta, is one of the most active volcanoes on earth and has erupted regularly since 1548. Mount Merapi is a stratovolcano – a tall, conical volcano composed of one layer of hardened lava, tephra (fragmented material produced by a volcanic eruption) and volcanic ash. It is part of a volcanic arc spread along the Asia-Pacific islands called the Pacific Ring of Fire – a section of fault lines and volcanoes stretching from the western coast of South America, Alaska through Japan and Southeast Asia. Tectonically, Merapi is situated at the subduction zone where the Indo-Australian Plate is sliding beneath the Eurasian Plate.