Context: The Chief Minister of Odisha recently announced the opening of 16 Child Friendly Police Stations in the state.
About Child Friendly Police Stations
- The child-friendly police stations have been built in the state in order to provide a welcoming environment for children.
- The main objective of the initiative is to make minors more comfortable while lodging complaints with police without fear.
- Such measures are aimed at easing the fear and mental pressure of children visiting the police stations, seeking justice
- The police stations have been made Child Friendly in the following manner:
- Stations in different districts with child-friendly amenities and ambience have their interiors painted to attract the children and are equipped with soft toys.
- Library with animated storybooks, swings for children, washrooms, separate breastfeeding corner for lactating mothers, recreation means like TV etc. have all been incorporated.
- The move by the Odisha Government would result in peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, by providing access to justice for all and building effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels in accordance with SDG 16.