Chief Minister of India
The head of each State Government is known as the Chief Minister of India or CM of States. The executive head of the state of India is the Chief Minister. The Chief Minister of India is in charge of all executive functions, including governance and administrative responsibilities. The duties and obligations of the Chief Ministers of India are spelled out in full in Article 167 of the Indian Constitution, and they must be upheld. In 28 states and 8 union territories, India has 36 chief ministers. The state’s lower or higher legislative assembly must have the chief minister as a member.
In India, the Chief Minister of a State plays a crucial and significant role in the management of the state. The State Legislature’s lower or upper house is where the Chief Minister sits. The Governor of the State appoints the CM. The choice of a state’s CM is made without following any strict guidelines. Nevertheless, the CM must be a member of the party with the most seats in the state legislature.
List of Chief Ministers of All States 2022
Here is the List of Chief Ministers of India 2022.
|Andhra Pradesh||Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Pema Khandu|
|Assam||Himanta Biswa Sarma|
|Haryana||Manohar Lal Khattar|
|Himachal Pradesh||Jai Ram Thakur|
|Karnataka||Sri Basavaraj Bommai|
|Madhya Pradesh||Shivraj Singh Chouhan|
|Manipur||N. Biren Singh|
|Meghalaya||Conrad Kongkal Sangma|
|Sikkim||Prem Singh Tamang (PS Golay)|
|Tamil Nadu||M.K Stalin|
|Uttar Pradesh||Yogi Adityanath|
|Uttarakhand||Shri Pushkar Singh Dhami|
|West Bengal||Mamata Banerjee|
Chief Ministers Constitutional Power
The functions, responsibilities, and obligations of the Chief Minister as outlined in our constitution are explained here
- Article 163 – The Chief Mister, who serves as the head of the council of ministers, advises the governor.
- The Chief Minister is chosen by the governor in accordance with Article 164 of the Constitution.
- The Chief Minister serves as a liaison between the Governor and the state council of ministers in accordance with Article 167 of the Constitution.
Chief Minister Appointment
- Article 164 solely states that the governor shall appoint the Chief Minister.
- The Governor, however, is not free to choose a candidate to serve as Chief Minister.
- According to parliamentary system conventions, the chief minister must be appointed by the governor and come from the majority party in the state legislature.
Chief Minister Qualification
- They must be an Indian national.
- They must be older than 25 years of age.
- They have to be a legislator in their state (MLA). If the individual is not already an MLA when they are appointed as the Chief Minister of a State, they must become so within six months of their appointment by running in an election in their appropriate seat.
Chief Minister of India Power & Functions
The current Chief Minister of All States has significant authority and duties, including assisting and advising the Governor and serving as a liaison between the Governor and the Council of Ministers. If the Governor requests it, the current chief minister of the states must provide all pertinent information pertaining to the state’s administration.
The current chief minister of the states is in charge of forming the government by creating a list of ministers and assigning them to various ministries in his capacity as the head of the Council of Ministers. A crucial role in the creation of the Ministry is played by the Chief Minister of All States. The current chief minister of the states is responsible for coordinating, directing, and overseeing the actions and judgments of the other cabinet members.
All meetings of the council of ministers are presided over by the Chief Ministers of the States and Union Territories. Additionally, they have a big impact on how the Council of Ministers makes decisions. Chief Ministers of States and Union Territories have the authority to request that any minister be fired by the governor or to ask the minister directly to resign from office.
Every Chief Minister in India plays a crucial part in administering the government. The government will fall apart if a state’s Chief Minister leaves his job. The representatives of state affairs on national platforms are the chief ministers of the states and union territories.
Chief Minister Tenure
The Chief Minister’s term is not set in stone, and he serves at the governor’s pleasure. There are a few conditions, such as:
- The Governor’s inability to remove him at any time.
- Even once he has the approval of the majority of the house, the governor cannot remove him.
- The Governor will dismiss the CM when he loses the majority’s backing.
Facts about Chief Ministers of India for UPSC
- Since March 5, 2000, Naveen Patnaik has been India’s chief minister for the longest period of time (for 22 years, 141 days).
- Zoramthanga of Mizoram is the oldest Chief Minister currently serving in India; he was born on July 13, 1944.
- Of the current chief ministers of India, Nitish Kumar has held office for the longest period of time (7 Terms) as the chief minister of Bihar.
- Prema Khandu, the chief minister of Arunachal Pradesh, was born on August 21, 1979, making him the youngest chief minister in India at the moment.
List of Chief Ministers of North Indian States
|1||Haryana||Manohar Lal Khattar|
|2||Himachal Pradesh||Jai Ram Thakur|
|3||Uttar Pradesh||Yogi Adityanath|
List of Chief Ministers of South Indian States
|1||Andhra Pradesh||Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy|
|2||Karnataka||Sri Basavaraj Bommai|
|4||Tamil Nadu||M.K Stalin|
List of Chief Ministers North East States of India
|1||Arunachal Pradesh||Pema Khandu|
|2||Assam||Himanta Biswa Sarma|
|3||Manipur||N. Biren Singh|
|4||Meghalaya||Conrad Kongkal Sangma|
|7||Sikkim||Prem Singh Tamang (PS Golay)|
List of Chief Ministers of Western States of India
List of Chief Ministers & Governors of Indian States & Union Territory
|Andaman & Nicobar||Shri. Devendra Kumar Joshi (Lieutenant Governor)||NA|
|Chandigarh||Shri. V.P. Singh Badnore (Administrator)||NA|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu||Shri Praful Patel (Administrator)||NA|
|Delhi||Shri Anil Baijal (Lieutenant Governor)||Arvind Kejriwal|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Shri Manoj Sinha (Lieutenant Governor)||NA|
|Lakshadweep||Shri Praful Patel (Administrator)||NA|
|Puducherry||Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan||N. Rangaswamy|
|Ladakh||Shri Radha Krishna Mathur (Lieutenant Governor)||NA|
Chief Ministers of India: FAQs
Q) Who is the 1st chief minister of India?
Ans. First Chief Minister of India was Shri Krishna Sinha
Q) Who is CM and PM of India?
Ans. Gujarat’s Chief Minister, Narendra Modi, was chosen to serve as prime minister, making him the first leader of an independent India to be born there. With a mandate that was larger than that of 2014, Narendra Modi was re-elected as prime minister in 2019. The BJP-led NDA won 354 seats, with 303 of the seats going to the party.
Q) Who is the Chief Minister of India 2022?
Ans. The position of Jammu and Kashmir’s chief minister is unfilled as of September 2022. One of the thirty current officials Mamata Banerjee of West Bengal is a woman. Naveen Patnaik, who has been in office from 5 March 2000 (for a total of 22 years, 198 days), has the longest tenure.
Q) Who is the first woman Chief Minister of India?
Ans. Sucheta Kripalani of the Indian National Congress party was sworn in as Uttar Pradesh’s chief minister on October 2, 1963, becoming the first woman to hold the position.
Q) Who is chief minister of Delhi?
Ans. Arvind Kejriwal, an Indian politician, activist, and former bureaucrat, was born on August 16, 1968. Since February 2015, he has served as Delhi’s 7th and current Chief Minister.
List of Chief Minister of Other States
- List of Chief Ministers of Bihar
- List of Chief Ministers of Delhi
- List of Chief Ministers of Gujarat
- List of Chief Ministers of Karnataka
- List of Chief Ministers of Kerala
- Chief Ministers of Tamil Nadu
Famous Personalities Biography