Table of Contents
UPSC Sociology Syllabus
UPSC Sociology Syllabus: Due to its concise and simple syllabus and demand among UPSC aspirants, Sociology is one of the most popular optional subjects. Most of the sociology syllabus topics for the UPSC are simple to comprehend. Some topics of the Sociology optional syllabus are relevant to the General Studies Paper 1 of the UPSC Mains (Indian Society section), as well as the Essay Paper, General Studies 2, and General Studies 3.
In other words, choosing Sociology as a UPSC optional subject might be a better alternative if your subject is not on the UPSC Optional Subject List.
Read More: UPSC Syllabus
UPSC Sociology Optional Syllabus
The UPSC Sociology Optional Exam is broken up into two Papers i.e., Paper 1 covers the Basics of Sociology, while Paper 2 covers Indian Society: Structure & Changes. Each paper is valued 250 marks, a total of 500 marks for the sociology optional paper. As we have covered the entire UPSC Sociology Syllabus for Paper 1 & Paper 2 here, this article would be helpful to UPSC aspirants who have been considering Sociology as their UPSC Optional Subject for the UPSC CSE (Civil Service Examination).
Read More: UPSC Optional Subjects
UPSC Sociology Syllabus Paper 1
The Fundamentals of Sociology are covered in the UPSC Sociology Syllabus for Paper 1 which majorly includes all the important Social institutions, Thinkers etc. The following topics are included in the UPSC Sociology Optional Syllabus for Paper 1:
- Sociology – The Discipline
- Sociology as Science
- Research Methods and Analysis
- Sociological Thinkers
- Stratification and Mobility
- Works and Economic Life
- Politics and Society
- Religion and Society
- Systems of Kinship
- Social Change in Modern Society
Read More: UPSC Prelims Syllabus
UPSC Sociology Syllabus Paper 2
UPSC Sociology Syllabus for Paper 2 has a total of 15 units that are broadly divided into 3 sections such as:
- Introducing Indian Society: This section is divided into two units that majorly include sociological thinkers’ perspectives on Indian Society and also cover the impact of Colonial rule on our Indian society.
- Social Structure: This section is divided into 6 units that majorly include caste system, agricultural social structure, tribal groupings, diverse classes, kinship & family system, and religion & society.
- Social Changes in India: This section is divided into 7 units which include Visions of Social Change in India, Rural and Agrarian Transformation in India, Industrialization and Urbanisation in India, Politics and Society, Social Movements in Modern India, Population Dynamics and Challenges of Social Transformation.
Read More: UPSC Syllabus in Hindi