Context: The Government of Gujarat launched the initiative called Safe City – Suraksha Setu, which is a community policing initiative for strengthening police-public partnership.
About Safe City – Suraksha Setu Project
- Triggers for the project
- High Volume of Vehicular Traffic
- Threat of Terrorist Activities
- Rising Population leading to poor people to police ratio
- Traffic Awareness Movements
- Objectives of the Project
- Crime prevention and detection
- Post incident forensic examination
- Traffic management and enforcement
- Providing disaster management support
- Pollution control measures (Pollution Sensors)
- Project Components
- CCTV cameras were installed and connected to the Command and Control Center, through the dedicated underground dark optical fibre network.
- Enforcement automation centre was set up for issuing e-challans with photograph of the traffic offenders.
- Project Implementation
- Project has been implemented on a public-private-people-partnership model (4P).
- Project was implemented with public funding, having been duly approved by the Government of Gujarat.
- Vans connected with the Command & Control Center and integrated with the Intellectual Information Management System were deployed to transfer live feeds for analysis.
- Impact of the Project
- Post installation of CCTV cameras, the crimes have reduced considerably.
- Surveillance system has helped to improve the operational efficiency of the police administration by a quantum amount.
- Traffic management at junctions, by monitoring the volume of traffic and enforcement of traffic rules, has been effective.
- Efforts of various agencies for rescue, relief and rehabilitation during natural calamities and disasters are being better coordinated now.
- Innovation and integration of technology in administration yields potential efficiency and impacts. Hence, there is a need to replicate in other cities to reap the benefits from impactful technology.