Q7. ‘Oceans are the store-house of resources.’ – Write a short note.
The world’s oceans are indeed vast storehouses of resources, offering a multitude of valuable assets and benefits:
- Marine Life: Oceans harbour an incredibly diverse range of marine species, many of which are vital for human consumption. Fish, shellfish, and seaweeds are examples of valuable marine resources that support global food security.
- Minerals and Metals: The seabed contains vast reserves of minerals and metals, including manganese nodules, polymetallic sulphides, and rare-earth elements. These resources are essential for various industries, including electronics and renewable energy.
- Oil and Gas: Oceans are rich in oil and natural gas reserves. Offshore drilling and exploration have become significant sources of energy production worldwide.
- Renewable Energy: Ocean currents, tides, and waves offer immense potential for renewable energy generation. Technologies like tidal and wave energy converters harness these resources to produce clean electricity.
- Water Resources: Oceans play a critical role in the Earth’s water cycle. Desalination processes extract freshwater from seawater, addressing water scarcity issues in coastal regions.
- Biodiversity: Oceans support an incredible array of biodiversity, contributing to scientific knowledge and potential biotechnological discoveries.
However, it is essential to manage and conserve ocean resources sustainably. Overfishing, pollution, habitat destruction, and climate change pose threats to these valuable ecosystems. International cooperation and responsible practices are crucial to preserving the oceans as a vital resource for future generations.
Check out the UPPSC Mains GS Paper 1 2023 Analysis with detailed expatiation of the topics of Mains GS Paper 1 By the Study IQ Experts