- The introduction of the Electronic Point of Sale (EPOS) policy in all ration shops across the state, has revolutionised and strengthened the Public Distribution System (PDS) in Kerala.
- The government of Kerala implemented E-POS machines in Ration Shops to make the Rationing System high-tech, under which the ration goods are distributed to beneficiaries after validation of biometric identification.
- Before the installation of the EPOS, there had been many complaints from consumers about discrepancies in distribution.
- EPOS was introduced by the Government in the way of taking stringent measures, to end all irregularities associated with the PDS.
- EPOS has also aided in enforcing the National Food Security Act (NFSA), as this measure has brought transparency in the distribution of the food grain quota and has checked the corruption that had been rampant in PDS.
- Other impacts from EPOS include:
- Digitisation of all transactions at the ration shop has facilitated the tracking of individual entitlements accessed by each cardholder.
- Further, digitisation provides cardholders with the portability option, enabling their access to rations from any ration shop.
- Going ahead, citizen education and confidence-building measures could result in even better implementation of PDS.