Easternmost District gets PM Excellence Award Background
- Changlang is a district located in the state of Arunachal Pradesh in north-eastern India. It is the easternmost district in the country, bordering Myanmar to the east.
- The district is primarily inhabited by various ethnic tribes such as the Tangsas, Singphos, and Noctes, among others.
- Despite being rich in cultural diversity, the district faces several developmental challenges, including poor infrastructure and limited access to education.
Award for Changlang
- Changlang district received the prestigious Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration for its innovative New Age Learning Centre (NALC).
- The NALC project was launched in 2016 with the aim of providing quality education to children in remote areas using digital technology.
- Prior to the implementation of the NALC project, the district faced several challenges in the education sector, such as a shortage of teachers, lack of infrastructure, and limited access to educational resources.
- The project was designed to address these challenges by leveraging technology to provide quality education to children in remote areas.
Features of Project
- The NALC project involved setting up digital classrooms in 20 remote schools across the district. Each digital classroom was equipped with a projector, computer, and internet connectivity.
- The classrooms were designed to facilitate interactive learning through the use of digital resources such as educational videos, animations, and interactive games.
- The project also provided training to teachers on how to use digital technology to enhance their teaching practices.
Impact of NALC Project
- It helped to bridge the gap in access to quality education between urban and rural areas. The project enabled children in remote areas to access educational resources that were previously unavailable to them.
- The use of digital technology also made learning more engaging and interactive, leading to improved learning outcomes.
- The project has also helped to raise awareness about the importance of technology in education and has led to increased investment in digital infrastructure in the education sector.
- The project is a shining example of how digital technology can be used to transform education and improve the lives of people in remote areas.
- The success of the NALC project has led to its replication in other parts of the state and the country. The project has been recognized as a model for leveraging technology to improve access to education in remote areas.