Hawk Eye – Role of Technology in Policing Background
Hyderabad City Police Department has envisioned Citizen Services Delivery through Mobile Technology through a product called Hawk Eye, which integrates the Police communication network system for prompt response to citizens.
About Hawk Eye
- Hawkeye app was first launched by the Hyderabad City Police in 2014, as part of its initiative to become a citizen-friendly and responsive force and also to empower the common man to become a Citizen Police.
- This citizen-friendly mobile app allows citizens to be in touch with the Hyderabad Police and report traffic violations, information on criminals, crime against women, violations by police, suggestions for improved policing and reports on good work done by the police.
- The SOS button on the application allows one to seek the help of police in emergencies, while also allowing one to send a pre-recorded message to predetermined friends/relatives and simultaneously to the Police.
- Further, the app has demonstrated innovation in the use of Mobile Technology for e-governance, in the following ways:
- On-hand information and dynamic linking of Aadhaar-based Authentication have enabled to know the genuineness of the personnel with respect to Tenants, Servants and other Utility Services, which helps the Police Officers to have a strict watch over suspected offenders.
- Traffic alerts on traffic jams, diversions etc., considerably reduce travel time and plan the journey accordingly for citizens.
- It made it possible the Monitoring the subordinates’ performance, thereby improving the working efficiency and result orientation of the Police.
- The app has been instrumental to create the following impacts:
- Improved visibility and transparency
- Instant responsiveness to Citizens at any point in time
- An interactive platform has made it possible to log, track and monitor various services and information by the Citizen
- Thus, inspiration from such an impact from technology needs to be replicated in other parts of India, to gain from the opportunities that technology offers in the Administration process.