DRDO Chairman G. Satheesh Reddy awarded Missile Systems Award 2019Date: 04 March 2019 Tags: Honours & Awards
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) Chairman G. Satheesh Reddy (55) was chosen for Missile Systems Award 2019 by American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA). He will this year award with former Principal Engineering Fellow of Raytheon Missile Systems Rondell J. Wilson.
With this G. Satheesh Reddy became first Indian and first person outside United States to be awarded this prestigious award. He was selected in recognition of his over three decades of national contributions to indigenous design, development and deployment of diversified strategic and tactical missile systems, guided weapons, advanced avionics and navigation technologies in India.
G. Satheesh Reddy
- At present, he is also Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister. He is considered architect of advanced missile technologies and smart guided weapons technologies in India.
- He is also Defence Secretary and Director-General of DRDO's aerospace arm Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA).
- Prior to this appointment as DRDO Chairman, he was heading the entire Missiles division of DRDO, including programmes such as strategic nuclear missiles of the Agni series.
- He is credited for development of tactical missile systems such as Quick reaction surface-to-air missile, man portable anti-tank guided missile HELINA and NAG anti-tank weapons.
- He was Project Director for tdesign and development of India’s first 1,000 kg class guided bomb which has enhanced precision strike capabilities.
- He has also played important role in development of Akash air defence systems. He is also the first scientist from India to receive the Silver Medal from Royal Aeronautical Society, London.
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
It is professional society of Aerospace Engineers. Its Missile Systems Award recognises excellence in developing or implementing missile systems technology, including significant technological accomplishments or for inspired leadership of missile systems programmes.