- Nikki Haley is the 29th and current United States Ambassador to the United Nations
- Pakistan is worried less by U.S. withdrawal of aid than the overall downslide in ties.
Battle of Koregaon- Understanding Bhima Koregaon
- Two hundred years ago, Battle of Koregaon was fought on 1 January 1818 between the British East India Company and the Peshwa faction of the Maratha Confederacy, at Koregaon Bhima
- British, defeated the massive Peshwa army, led by Peshwa Bajirao II, in Koregaon.
- This battle has, since, attained legendary stature in Dalit history
- Victory of the Mahars against the injustices perpetuated by the Brahminical Peshwas
- Vijay Sthamb (victory pillar)
- Battle’s 200th anniversary which led to the death of one?
- A planned attack
- Other Side view
- Draft of Assam’s National Register of Citizens is a •First step, but it opens up concerns
- Updated National Register of Citizens.
- Illegal immigrants in Assam
- Asom Gana Parishad in 1985
- March 25, 1971, and individuals who have sneaked in illegally have children & grandchildren
- Centre…intent to pass the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill and make Hindu illegal migrants minority communities in Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan eligible for Indian citizenship.
Prelims Focus Facts-News Analysis
- Page-1,11- Maharashtra shuts down as Dalits, Marathas join forces
- Normal life widely hit in most parts of the State, including Mumbai and Pune.
Page-1,10– Debate stalled(ठप) in Rajya Sabha on triple talaq Bill
- Opposition wants it to be sent to select panel for scrutiny
Page-1,10– India calls o• missile deal with Israel
- India has called o•an order to buy Spike anti-tank guided missiles from Israel’s state-owned defence contractor Rafael, the company said onWednesday.
- The deal was worth about $500 million and its termination came ahead of Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu’s visit to India
- However, India will buy 131 Barak surface-to-air missiles built by Rafael
- Local media reported that India’s Defence Research and Development
Organisation was developing a domestic anti-tank missile the government was keen to support.
Page-5– RadhaViswanathan (1934 – 2 January 2018) was an Indian vocalist and classical
- dancer. She performed extensively with her mother, Bharat Ratna Carnaticvocalist M. S. Subbulakshmi.
- North Korea reopens border hotline with the South
- Officials from the two sides talk for about 20 minutes