- Ever since Xi Jinping assumed the post of General Secretary of the Communist Party of China,
- he has repeatedly announced the Middle Kingdom’s intentionto occupy a position of global influence by the middle of the century.
- Over the past 8years, China has steadily manou evered itself into leadership positions in international institutions.
- It has deepened its stranglehold over global supply chains.
- The outbreak of the novel coronavirus in Wuhan & China’s domestic and international response to this pandemic, has forced the world to confront the grim realities of Chinese leadership.
CHINA’S RESPONSE TO COVID-19
- Research indicates that had China taken proactive measures to contain & suppress the pandemic earlier in December 2019, the number of #Covid19 cases could have been mitigated by up to 95%.
- Opposite happened.
- Local authorities in China suppressed information about the outbreak.
- Destroying proof of the virus sometime in December.
- Official censors scrubbed social media posts from medical professional swarning of a new “SARS-like” disease.
- Latemid – January,Chinese authorities even deni edevidence of any community transmission.
- China delayed notifying the WHO and in permitting it to inspect the situation in Wuhan.
- It released vital genetic information to the international community afull weekafter it was isolated.
- Allowed millions of individuals from Wuhan to leave the city unscreened, many of whom then travelled the world.
- ON THE OTHER SIDE
CHINA’S REACTION TO INTERNATIONAL BACKLASH
- As expected China changed gears.
- Chinese officials now appear to be engaged in an authorized and concerted misinformation campaign.
- Foreign Affairs spokesperson ludicrously claiming that the US Army was responsible for smuggling the ‘Virus’ into Wuhan.
- Beijing is using its industrial prowess and control over critical supply chains,including medical supplies.
- It has raced to be seen as providing public goods when other powers are faltering.
- But the aids from China is highly contingent on limiting criticism of Chinaand refraining from trying to hold it accountable
- China’s ambassador to the Philippines threatened to retaliate by cutting imports if Manila did not lift its travel banin early-February.
- This is despite an overwhelming global consensus that restricting travel would contain the spread of the virus.
- Barely 3months into a new decade,
- The international community is now confronted by a prolonged public health emergency whose contours and impact are not evenvaguely known at the moment.
- An equally paralysingand fearful consequence is the global economic slowdownas a direct result of China’s irresponsible domestic and international behaviour.
AMERICA-A RESPONSIBLE HEGEMON
- US too was a hegemon and the world lived under American hegemony.
- But it was an accountable hegemon.
- It isconstrained by American democratic traditions and open to corrective pressure at home and abroad.
BUT WHAT ABOUT CHINA?
- China’s global interests, like its domestic interests, stem from a primal survival instinct-
- Preserving the legitimacy, upholding the authority and ensuring the continuityof the Communist Party of China.
- It clearly shows that CPC is more than willing to endanger the health of the international community to promote Beijing’sirresponsible hegemony.
- REMEMBER, IT’S NOT CHINESE PEOPLE. IT’S CPC
- SO WHAT SHOULD THE WORLD DO WITH CHINA?