Namami Gange gets global recognition at Global Water SummitDate: 11 April 2019 Tags: Honours & Awards
India's flagship programme National Mission for Clean Ganga or Namami Gange was awarded with 'Public Water Agency of the Year' award at Global Water Summit held in London, United Kingdom.
Global Water Awards
They are presented by Global Water Intelligence at Global Water Summit, the major business conference for the water industry worldwide. These award recognise excellence across entire international water industry and reward those initiatives in the water, wastewater, and desalination sectors which bring remarkable improvements in the lives of people.
Namami Gange Mission
- It is integrated mission for Ganga rejuvenation aimed at integrating various efforts to clean and protect River Ganga in comprehensive manner.
- Its objective is to provide comprehensive and sustainable solutions for major pollution hot spots along stretch of river in right states covering 97 towns and 4,465 villages on Ganga stem.
- It has comprehensive multi-sectoral intervention with multi-stakeholder involvement and adopts basin based approach which includes Ganga and its tributaries.
- Its main pillars are sewerage treatment infrastructure, river-surface cleaning, bio-diversity, river-front development, afforestation, public awareness, industrial effluent monitoring and ganga gram.
- It also seeks to benefit vast population dependent on River Ganaga in terms of improved livelihoods, job creation and health benefits.