Alice G. Vaidyan awarded Freedom of the City of LondonDate: 12 April 2019 Tags: Honours & Awards
Alice G. Vaidyan was awarded Freedom of the City of London in recognition of her work to promote insurance ties between India and United Kingdom. She is Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of India’s reinsurance major General Insurance Corporation (GIC) of India. She was nominated for this traditional honour by Lord Mayor of London Peter Estlin, and City of London Corporation Policy Chair Catherine McGuinness.
Alice G. Vaidyan
- She holds post graduate degree in English literature and has been trained at Harvard Business School, Boston, US.
- She is Fellow of Insurance Institute of India. She has over 30 years of experience in Indian insurance and reinsurance industry.
- She is first women officer to assume topmost post of CMD of General Insurance Corporation of India.
- She is also first women CMD in public-sector insurance industry (non-life) under Union Ministry of Finance.
- She has won several national and international awards. Business Today recognized her as one of most powerful women in Indian business (2016).
Freedom of the City Freedom of London
- It is honour awarded by City of London Corporation upon valued member of community or upon visiting celebrity or dignitary.
- It origin can be traced to the medieval time of around 1237. It seeks to enabled its recipients to carry out their trade.
- Since its establishment, this award has evolved into honour bestowed upon individuals who make impact in financial hub of London, which is also referred as City or the Square Mile.