NEW EDUCATION POLICY
- India’s education system gets an overhaul after 34 years
- This is the third NEP after policies that came in 1968, and 1986. Though the government amended the 1986 policy in 1992, it was largely the same.
POINT TO NOTE -1968 POLICY
- Based on the report and recommendations of the Kothari Commission (1964–1966), the government of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi announced the first National Policy on Education in 1968, which called for a “radical restructuring” and proposed equal educational opportunities in order to achieve national integration and greater cultural and economic development.
- In 1964, the Kothari Commission had recommended a 6 % allocation of 6 %
- of GDP
- But India never spent 6% of GDP on education since Independence
POINT TO NOTE
MORE INVESTMENT IN EDUCATION