China card is not a new phenomenon in Nepal.
Nepal now an eager participant in the ambitious Belt and Road Initiative.
A very flawed(त्रुटिपूर्ण) law
- Proposed Bill criminalising instant talaq has no legal basis
- Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill 2017, which is set to be tabled in Parliament today.
- Talaq – Shall be punished with imprisonment for a term. which may extend to three years and fine.
- Talaq-e-biddat breaks the marriage, and, therefore, needs to criminalised.
- Offence would be -Cognizable and Non-bailable.
- Misreading of the August 2017 Supreme Court judgment.
- This is the law of the land under Article 141.
Out at sea
- India should remain a balancing power, and anchored in the Indian Ocean
- National Security Strategy (NSS), the U.S. has called China a “challenger” and “rival”
while welcoming India‟s emergence as a “leading global power and stronger strategic
and defence partner”
- Declared that it seeks to increase „Quadrilateral‟ cooperation with Japan, Australia, and India
- U.S. would support India‟s growing relationships throughout the region.
- Indo-Pacific sounds
- it is in the nation‟s as well as global interest that India remains a balancing power.
- For instance, India‟s vote in the UN General Assembly over Jerusalem should be seen in
line with a “rulesbased world order.”
- At the same time, there is no question that India should hedge(बाडा) against the rapid
expansion of Chinese presence in the IOR
- Recent acknowledgment by the People‟s Liberation Army that it is “planning to explore
the possibility of more foreign military outposts in Africa, West Asia and other areas
- India Should remain the IOR, stretching from the Gulf of Aden to the Strait of Malacca.
- Last month, India and Singapore concluded an overarching bilateral agreement for naval
- Access to the Changi naval base at the mouth of the Strait of Malacca.
- With Singapore‟s assistance, India is also working out modalities for joint multilateral
exercises with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- India is also negotiating similar logistics agreements with several other countries. These devel opments show the way forward for India to engage with like-minded countries in the region
- Goa Maritime Conclave hosted by the Indian navy last month where Navy Chiefs
and maritime heads of 10 Indian Ocean littoral states on ways to improve cooperation
in the region
- India to take forward to build its primacy in the IOR
Securing net neutrality
- Federal Communications Commission
- Give Internet providers broad powers to determine what websites and
online services their customers see and use
- Able to block websites they do not like and charge Web companies for
speedier delivery of their content
- Major blow to “net neutrality”
- After- the Iran nuclear deal and the Paris climate pact- This is new gift.
The diagnostic lens
- It‟s time doctors updated their understanding of encephalitis
- Encephalitis — found in Malkangiri district of Odisha.
- killed over 100 children last year was thought to be due
to the Japanese encephalitis ( JE) virus.
- Now researchers say it was likely due to the consumption of a
wild bean, called Bada Chakunda- in the region.
- Like several natural toxins- cause fatal dysfunction
of the liver, heart and brain in underfed children
- Uttar Pradesh‟s Saharanpur district- where too a recurrent
encephalitis outbreak was traced to this bean
- While more data may be needed to con•firm this link
- Yet, investigating agencies such as the
National Centre for Disease Control and the National Institute
of Virology have persisted in focussing on JE.(Q-?)
Prelims Focus Facts-News Analysis
- Page-2– Infiltration(घुसपैठ) via LoC touches 4-year high: Home Ministry
- Over 230% increase in ceasefire violations in 2017
- Page-1– Indian Science Congress to be held in March
- Historic event will be hosted by Manipur University
- The 2018 edition of the historic Indian Science Congress will be held at Manipur
University, Imphal, in March
- The event was scheduled at the Osmania University (OU), Hyderabad, in the •rst
week of January but had to be moved out due to “security problems.”
- This was the fi•rst time the 106-year-old ISC — the largest congregation of scientists in India
- All Bihar villages electrified: Nitish
„Every household to get free power connection by next calendar year‟
- Page-7– „Cooperate on curbing online sex determination ads‟
- Supreme Court has held that the government has a role in
controlling the virtual world
and has ordered major online search engines such as
Google, Yahoo and Microsoft to co-operate with the
Centre to make concrete
suggestions against publication of online pre-natal sex
determination ads rather than oppose any move to
make the Internet safer
- Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques
(PCPNDT) Act, 1994 are not violated
- Page-11- Israel takes India’s vote in its stride
- Coming visit of Prime Minister Netanyahu will focus on technology and counter-terrorism
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu‟s visit to India in a fortnight will focus
on taking cooperation on
“the doubleT‟s” of technology,
including on agriculture
and water conservation, and
(counter-) terrorism to the
“next level”, according to officials
•familiar with the planning of the visit.
- Page-12– Kabul-Mumbai cargo service on
- Real, unimpeded connectivity for Afghan traders, says India envoy
- Israel proposes to name station after Trump
- „Comfort women issue still unresolved‟
- S. Korea calls for legal compensation