- Key sections of the National Medical Commission Bill need a rethink
- Decision of the Lok Sabha to send the National Medical Commission Bill to a standing committee for a relook is the right one.
- First proposed in 2016, the Bill aims to overhaul(rebuild)
the corrupt and inefficient MCI,
- Which regulates medical education and practice.
- Goals is to rein in corruption in the MCI through greater distribution of powers
On the ledger(खाता बही)
- Expenditure data underline the government‟s challenge on •fiscal consolidation
- Additional capital it has announced as part of the recapitalisation effort to bolster the financial health of public sector banks
- There is the additional…50,000 crore in market borrowing that the government has planned for the fourth quarter — a move it has said will not significantly impact the fiscal calculus
- With monetary authorities at the RBI having reiterated the inflationary risks that a worsening fiscal gap would pose, and private investment still struggling to gain traction, policymakers would
do well to try and regain their footing on the crucial path of •fiscal consolidation.
Regaining the focus
- The Indian Science Congress needs to go back to its roots rather than provide a podium for politics
- Recent history of the Indian Science Congress Association suggests that it most often makes news
for matters other than science.(Q-Theme, Place?)
- Two British chemists, J.L. Simonsen and P.S. MacMahon, were the driving force behind the first
Congress that was held from January 15 to 17, 1914 at theAsiatic Society, Calcutta.
- “One hundred and five scientists from different parts of…India and abroad attended and the papers numbering 35 were divided into six sections — botany, chemistry, ethnography, geology, physics,zoology under six sectional presidents,”
- Edition(105th ) had to be shifted out at the last minute
- „Student unrest‟and „security issues‟ at Osmania University, Hyderabad, the first venue
- A first step would be to go back to its roots of being a stage for science than a podium for politics.
Prelims Focus Facts-News Analysis
Page-1– Electoral bonds for political donations notified.
Page-1– Fears over FRDI Bill misplaced: govt.
- LS takes up judges‟ salary Bill
- The Lok Sabha onTuesday took up a Bill to hike the salaries of judges of the Supreme Court and High Courts.“We are taking note of your concerns and the proper course will be followed,” Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said, beginning the debate onThe High Court and Supreme Court Judges (Salaries and Conditions of Service) Amendment Bill, 2017.
- Mr. Prasad said the Bill was necessary because the salaries of judges needed to be aligned with those of government servants after the 7th Pay Commission.
- Page-11- Sushma to go on tri-nation tour
- Beginning the groundwork for the ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit later this month, ExternalA•airs Minister Sushma Swaraj will visit Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore from January 4 to 8.
- The three-nation visit is likely to cover India‟s annual plans for the region and include the launch of the Regional Pravasi Bharatiya Divas for the ASEAN countries
- ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit, which marks 25 years since the establishment of dialogue partnership between India and ASEAN,
- Don‟t blame us, Pakistan tells U.S.- Pakistan Prime Minister SK Abbasi.
- S. Korea offers talks with North ahead of Olympics-Winter Olympics
- China welcomes and supports North Korea and South Korea taking
- TRAI interconnect rule has a 1 lakh a day penalty proviso
- „Telecom Interconnection Regulations 2018‟, which will come into effect from February 1, 2018, also provide for a daily penalty of up to 1 lakh per service area for operators violating the new norms.
- Gold imports surged(upward) 67% in 2017, says GFMS( Gold Fields Mineral Services)