- Marayoor jaggery from Idukki, Kerala gets Geographical Indication (GI) tag from the central government.
- This jaggery is made from sugarcane and no chemicals are added during the manufacturing process which makes it a world class delicacy.
- Marayoor jaggery is made using only traditional methods. It is dark brown in colour with high sweetness and iron, less sodium content and insoluble impurities.
Q) 34th AAHAR – International Food and Hospitality fair was held in?
- The 34th edition of AAHAR – the International Food and Hospitality fair was held at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
- AAHAR is one of Asia’s best known brands in Food & Hospitality shows.
- It is organized by India Trade Promotion Organization, premier trade promotion body under Ministry of Commerce.
Q) Turmeric of which city has got the Geographical Indication (GI) tag from the Geographical Indication Registry ?
- Erode turmeric gets GI tag after an 8-year process
- The Erode Manjal Vanigargal Matrum Kidangu Urimaiyalargal Sangham applied for the GI tag on January 4, 2011, at the office of the Deputy Registrar of GI Registry in Chennai.
- A Geographical Indication is a name or sign used on certain products that correspond to a specific geographical location or origin
Q)India’s food processing ministry has launched which scheme to bolster the unorganised food processing sector concentrated in rural areas?
A.Gram Sahyog Yojana
B.Gram Samridhi Yojana
C.PM Gram Sahayata Yojana
D.Atal Bihari Gram Unnati Yojana
- India’s food processing ministry is working on a new scheme Gram Samridhi Yojana to bolster the unorganised food processing sector concentrated in rural areas
- Gram Samridhi Yojana also aims to provide common facility centres and business incubators in rural areas.
- The Rs 3,000 crore scheme funded by the World Bank and the Centre will help cottage industry, farmer producers’ organisation and individual food processors to increase capacity.
- The maximum cap of subsidy to be given to a unit will be Rs 10 lakh, apart from interest subsidy, if they avail of loans. There is a provision for getting subsidy on bank interest by 3% to 5%.
Q)Celebrated mango grower, Haji Kalimullah, popularly known as ‘Mango Man’, has named a new variety of mango after whom
A. Amit Shah
B. Narendra Modi
C . Rahul Gandhi
D. Priyanka Gandhi
- Celebrated mango grower, Haji Kalimullah, popularly known as ‘Mango Man’, has named a new variety of mango after Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
- The new mango variety that is being named after Shah is both “good in weight and taste” and will be called “Shah” mango.
- The Shah mango is ready and is likely to ripen in the coming days when it will enter the market.
Q)National Bulk Handling Corporation (NBHC) has released Kharif Crop estimation for the year 2018-2019, in which the basmati rice production is expected to decline by what percent ?
- National Bulk Handling Corporation (NBHC) has released Kharif Crop estimation for the year 2018-2019.
- According to the report, the basmati rice production is expected to decline by 9.24 % to 5.18 million metric tonnes.
- The total oilseeds production is estimated to be 19.87 million metric tonne which is 5.36 % lower as compared to the year 2018.
- The pulses production is projected to be dropped to 9.10 million tonnes.
Q)International Spice Conference 2019 was held in which of the following cities?
- The fourth edition of international spice conference (ISC 2019) was held in Hyderabad.
- The conference is hosted by the All India Spices Exporters Forum (AISEF) which represents around 80% of spices export from India.
- The theme for the conference is challenges of change-redefining the value chain.
Q)kala jeera’ (black cumin) and ‘chulli ‘(dried apricot) oil of which state have recently received Geographical Indication (GI) tag?
D.Jammu and Kashmir
- Himachal Pradesh’s ‘kala jeera’ (black cumin) and ‘chulli ‘(dried apricot) oil received Geographical Indication (GI) tag from the government
Q)Sikaria Mega Food Park Pvt Ltd was inauguratedin which of the following cities ?
- Sikaria Mega Food Park Pvt Ltd was inaugurated at Village Tulakona in Agartala.
- This is the 17th Mega Food Park in the country and first in the state of Tripura.
- The Mega Food Park has been set up in 50 acres of land at the cost of Rs. 87.45 crore.
Q. The first mega food park of Himachal Pradesh was started in which of the following districts?
Himachal’s first mega food park in Una
Cremica Food Park is the first mega food park of Himachal Pradesh.
The Park is located at Village Singhain Una District of Himachal Pradesh. It is set up at a cost of Rs 107.34 crore.
Q)Which country has won a World Trade Organization (WTO) ruling against China’s use of tariff-rate quotas (TRQ) for rice, wheat and corn ?
The US has won a World Trade Organization (WTO) ruling against China’s use of tariff-rate quotas (TRQ) for rice, wheat and corn.
- The case, lodged by the Obama administration in late 2016, marks the second U.S. victory in as many months in the country’s ongoing trade spat with China.
- TRQs are two-level tariffs, with limited imports allowed at the lower ‘in-quota’ tariff and subsequent imports charged an ‘out-of-quota’ tariff, which is generally much higher.
- The US argued that the quotas limited market access for its grain exports.
- Australia, Brazil, India, and the European Union were among those reserving their rights in the dispute brought by the world’s largest grain exporter.
Q)Which state government is planning to discourage planting of the water-guzzling rice (paddy) crop, which threatens to deplete the State’s groundwater?
- Haryana government is planning to discourage planting of the water-guzzling rice (paddy) crop, which threatens to deplete the State’s groundwater.
- Meanwhile, farmers have asked the government to first come out with a mechanism to procure alternative crops at the Minimum Support Price (MSP) so that farmers are not at the receiving end.
- Water depletion in Haryana over the years has led to 60 dark zones in the State, which include 21 critical ones in 10 districts
Q) Arecanut has got its first GI (geographical indication) tag for which supari ?
- Arecanut (also known as supari or betel nut) is the latest entrant in the list of agricultural produce with a GI (geographical indication) tag.
- The Registrar of Geographical Indications, Government of India, accorded a GI tag, ‘Sirsi Supari’, to arecanut grown in Sirsi, Siddpaur and Yellapur taluks of Uttara Kannada district in Karnataka.
Q)Which country has lifted its export ban on fruits and vegetable from Kerala after the Nipah virus attack last year?
- Kerala’s fruits and vegetable exporters have heaved a sigh of relief following the lifting of the export ban by Saudi Arabia after the Nipah virus attack last year.
- Kerala ships around 150 tonnes of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis to various gulf countries and of this, the consignment to Saudi alone was 30-40 tonnes.
- Q) FSSAI has permitted small organic food producers/organisations with an annual turnover of over Rs __________ to sell their produce directly to end consumers without certification till April 2020?
A.Rs 15 lakh
B.Rs 20 Lakh
C.Rs 12 Lakh
D.Rs 17 Lakh
- (FSSAI) has permitted small organic food producers/organisations with an annual turnover of over Rs 12 lakh to sell their produce directly to end consumers without certification till April 2020.
- However, these small organic producers and aggregators will not be allowed to use ‘Jaivik Bharat logo’ on their products.
- The Jaivik Bharat logo is an identity mark to distinguish organic products from non-organic ones.
- Under the (Organic Food) Regulation 2017, sale of organic produce directly to end consumer has been allowed only with the certification of the National Program for Organic Production (NPOP) and Participatory Guarantee System (PGS) India.
Q. The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) hiked the basic customs duty (BCD) on wheat to what percent ?
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) hiked the basic customs duty (BCD) on wheat to 40% from 30%.
- The objective is to restrict imports so that domestic prices of wheat do not come under pressure as the country’s wheat production in this season might cross 100 million tonnes.
- Last year in May, the government hiked the basic customs duty on wheat to 30% from 20%.
Q)The government has extended the ban on import of milk and its products from which country?
- Govt extends ban on import of milk products from China
- The government has extended the ban on import of milk and its products, including chocolates, from China till laboratories at ports for testing presence of toxic chemical melamine are upgraded.
- The ban was first imposed in September 2008 and extended subsequently from time to time. The latest ban imposed by the government ended Tuesday.
Q) World Milk Day is observed every year on?
- World Milk Day is observed every year on June 1.
- The theme of the World Milk Day this year is “Drink Milk: Today and Every day.”
- World Milk Day was established in 2001 by the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nation to recognise the importance of milk as a global food
Q)Amul has launched “Amul Camel Milk’ in which of the following states?
- Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd,venture of diary brand Anand Milk Union Limited or Amul has launched the Camel milk first time in the brand name of ‘Amul Camel Milk’ in selective areas of Gujarat.
- Initially ‘Amul Camel Milk’ will be launched in areas like Gandhinagar, Ahmedabad and the Kutch of Gujarat.
- Price of 500 ml will be Rs.50 and it should be refrigerated with shelf life of three days.
- Amul has already introduced the Camel Milk Chocolate
Q)Scientists from which institute have developed a simple paper kit that can test freshness of milk ?
- Scientists at Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, have developed a simple paper kit that can test freshness of milk and tell how well it has been pasteurized.
- Aided with a smart phone app, the kit can help ensure that milk is consumed before it turns too sour.
Q) Which state participated as a partner state in the mega international food and beverage show ‘Indus Food 2019‘ which will take place in Greater Noida?
- Odisha participated as a partner state in the upcoming mega international food and beverage show ‘Indus Food 2019’, according to state MSME Minister Prafulla Samal.
- The Indus Food meet is a mega international foodexposition organized at India Exposition Mart, Greater Noida in Uttar Pradesh on January 14 and 15.
- The event is organized jointly by Trade Promotion Council of India (TPCI) and Department of Commerce
Q)Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) between India and which in the field of food processing sector?
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval to the Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) between India and Japan in the field of food processing sector.
- Bilateral cooperation in the field of food processing between India and Japan will be mutually beneficial to the food processing sector in both countries.
- It will promote understa nding of best practices in food processing in the two countries and will help in improving the food processing sector as well as improved market access, leading to equity and inclusiveness.
Q) Which country has achieved success in sprouting cotton seeds on moon?
- A cotton seed carried to the Moon by China’s recent Chang’e-4 probe has sprouted, the first for any biological matter to grow on the Moon.
- China’s robotic spacecraft Chang’e-4 landed on the far side of the moon, a first in the human history of space exploration
Q)Under the nutrition gardens initiative launched by Ministry of Human Resources Development, each school will get Rs _______ per year to each school to set up the kitchen garden?
- Union Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) has issued guidelines for setting up nutrition gardens in schools
- Under the initiative, each school will get Rs 5000 per year to each school to set up the garden. It will be a part of ‘flexi fund component for innovative interventions’ in the mid-day meal scheme.
- The fund will be used for purchase of seeds and equipment. Teachers will be trained in setting up kitchen gardens and basic garden management by experts of the Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVK).
- Plants can be grown in small containers, cans and discarded earthen pots
Q) First tulip garden of Uttarakhand will come up at which place?
- Uttarakhand’s first tulip garden will come up over 50 hectares of forest land in Pithoragarh district at a cost of Rs 50 crore.
- The state government has obtained the Centre’s nod for development of the garden.
- To be developed by the ONGC, under its corporate social responsibility programme in over 50 hectares of forest land near Chandak hill top, the proposed tulip garden will be the country’s second after the one located in Srinagar (J&K),
Q)Kandhamal Haldi of which state has got the Geographical indication (GI) tag ?
- Kandhamal Haldi (turmeric) named after central Odisha district of Kandhamal, where it is organically grown by tribals, received the GI tag.