QUESTION FOR YOU
Q) Recently Ujh Multi-purpose Project is in news because it got approval from Central Government. This project is based in…?
- Ladakh UT
- Jammu Kashmir UT
- Himachal Pradesh
MAJOR PORTS OF INDIA
- There are total 12 major sea ports in India
- Kamarajar Port Limited, formerly Ennore Port, is located on the Coromandel Coast about 18 km north of Chennai Port, Chennai, it is the 12th major port of India, and the first port in India which is a public company
SOME OF THEM ARE LISTED HERE
- Kandla Port – Gujarat
- Nhava Sheva – Maharashtra: Nhava Sheva now known as Jawaharlal Nehru Port
- Mumbai Port
- Currently, India has 12 major ports at Deendayal (erstwhile Kandla), Mumbai, JNPT, Mormugao, New Mangalore, Cochin, Chennai, Kamarajar (earlier Ennore),VO Chidambaranar,Visakhapatnam, Paradip and Kolkata (including Haldia).
WHY NEW PORT?
- The reason behind setting up another major port on the west coast is because of the exhaustion of container cargo capacity of the JNPT, which is 10 million TEUs (twenty foot equivalent unit). On the west coast, this capacity is 18 million TEUs while the total requirement will increase to 25 million TEUs in 2030.
- The Jawaharlal Nehru Port is the biggest container port in India and the 28th largest in the world.When ready, the government expects Vadhavan port to be among the top 10 container ports in the
PART OF A LARGER PLAN
- The government approved the setting up of a port at Vadhavan in Maharashtra at a cost of ₹65,544.54 crore, which is part of the ₹100 trillion investment in infrastructure announced by the Narendra Modi administration
- Vadhavan will be set up as a corporate port under the Companies Act. It would be developed as a landlord port with the port company building the basic port infrastructure while berths, terminals and associated facilities will be constructed by private firms in public-private-partnership (PPP)
WHAT IS LANDLORD MODEL?
- In the landlord port model, the publicly governed port authority acts as a regulatory body and as landlord while private companies carry out port operations—mainly cargo-handling activities.
- Here, the port authority maintains ownership of the port while the infrastructure is leased to private firms that provide and maintain their own superstructure and install own equipment to handle
- In return, the landlord port gets a share of the revenue from the private entity.
- The role of the landlord port authority would be to carry out all public sector services and operations such as the award of bids for cargo terminals and dredging.