UPSC Prelims News of 2 November 2022
Puducherry Liberation Day
Context: Union Territory of Puducherry celebrated its Liberation Day on 1st November.
- On 1st November 1954, the union territory was liberated from French colonialism following a referendum in which all elected members from Puducherry voted against the French and preferred to join India.
- French colonial empire also consisted of Chandernagor, Mahé, Yanam, Karaikal, and Masulipatam.
- Subsequently, the French effected the de-facto merger on this day, 1st November 1954.
- Puducherry Independence Day: Indian government effected the de-jure transferring the territory to its union on 16th August 1962.
- Since then, Puducherry has been celebrating Independence Day on August 16.
Context: Recently, hunting, killing and sale of amur falcons has been banned by the district magistrates of Tamenglong and Senapati districts in Manipur.
- State government has taken up strict measures to protect the winged guest by Invoking the provisions of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
About Amur Falcon
- Locally known as Akhuipuina, it is the longest-flying migratory bird.
- Amur Falcons are small but a long distant migrant bird of prey.
- They get their name from the Amur River that forms the border between Russia and China.
- They travelled for more than 22,000-km-long yearly flights between Russia, China, and Africa.
- They summer in Siberia, Mangolia and East China between May and September, arrive in Manipur, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh in October.
- Conservation Status
- Wildlife Protection Act 1972: Schedule IV.
- IUCN Status: least Concern.
- Nagaland is known as the falcon capital of the world.
Context: The Indian Navy has participated in maiden trilateral exercise with Mozambique and Tanzania.
About IMT TRILAT 2022
- This is the first edition of India-Mozambique-Tanzania Trilateral Exercise (IMT TRILAT), a joint maritime exercise between the navies of the three countries, commenced at Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Indian Navy is represented by guided missile frigate, INS Tarkash and MARCOS.
- Capability development to address common threats through training and sharing of best practices,
- Enhancing interoperability, and
- Strengthening maritime cooperation.
- Significance: This exercise reflects India’s and Indian Navy’s commitment to enhancing maritime security and cooperation with maritime neighbours in IOR (Indian Ocean Region) in accordance with SAGAR (Safety and Growth for All in the Region) initiatives.
Important Maritime Exercises of Indian Navy
Black Sea Grain Initiative
Context: Russia recently pulled out of the Black Sea Grain Deal, which was launched to mitigate food inflation caused by conflict in Ukraine.
What is Black Sea Grain Initiative?
- Background: Ukraine exports around 45 million tonnes of grain to the global market each year. After the Russian invasion, Ukraine was left with large amount of grains stored in silos unable to be transported to other parts of the world. This has affected the global supply of food grains.
- Launch: The Initiative on the Safe Transportation of Grain and Foodstuffs from Ukrainian ports, also called the Black Sea Grain Initiative, was an agreement between Russia and Ukraine with Turkey and the United Nations (UN) made during the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- It sought to create a safe passage of food grains exported from Ukraine.
- Under this agreement, export of grain, food and fertilizers will be allowed to resume from Ukraine via a “safe maritime humanitarian corridor” from three key Ukrainian ports i.e., Chornomorsk, Odesa, and Yuzhny/Pivdennyi.
- Implementation: A Joint Coordination Centre (JCC) having representatives from signatories of the Black Sea Grain Initiative was set up to implement this deal.
- Current status:
- Russia pulled out of this agreement on October 29 due to drone attack on its naval ships in the port of Sevastopol.
- Despite Russia withdrawing from the deal, several grain ships continued to depart from ports in Ukraine with support from Turkey and UN. However, it is unclear if this safe passage will remain intact indefinitely.