- Kushinagar Airport Ayodhya Airport Jewar Airport Sonebhadra Airport Ex-DSP Punjab Police Engineering from IIT Madras The course here is a great strategy to get an edge over others.
PRIDE FOR UP
- The Uttar Pradesh government is eyeing a record of sorts by developing international airports and upgrading a bunch of World War II vintage airstrips into functional airports in different parts of the state.
- Sixteen such airstrips, now used for elections campaigns and as flying clubs, are on the radar of the state and central governments for development now, especially since the elections are just a couple of years away.
KUSHINAGAR HISTORICAL RELEVANCE
- Legend has it that Buddha attained “Mahaparinirvana” in Kushinagar and this brings in tourists from countries like Thailand, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan and Singapore as well.
KUSHINAGAR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
- Though over a decade old, the Kushinagar International Airport has now become the pet project of not just the Uttar Pradesh Government but also the Centre with Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and Union Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Puri personally reviewing the project and announcing the start of operations by end of the year.
KUSHINAGAR WILL BECOME 4 TH
- When operations start, this will become the fourth international airport in the state after Lucknow, Varanasi and the under construction airport at Jewar.
- “You know that Kushinagar is the mid-point of the Buddhist circuit. It has pilgrimage sites in Lumbini, Shravasti, Kapilvastu nearby it. A little farther, it has sites in Sarnath and Gaya,”
ADVANTAGES OFFERED BY KUSHINAGAR
- Location: Situated near the Nepal border and close to Bihar. The other airports in the area at Patna in Bihar, Kathmandu in Nepal and Varanasi in Eastern Uttar Pradesh. This means the airport can also cater to domestic passengers, including the thousands of migrant workers from the area who work in the rest of India and the Middle East.
- This could also be a showcase project for the Bihar Assembly elections which are expected in a couple of months given the project’s possible impact on Siwan , Gopalkunj , Champaran and Saran districts.
ADVANTAGE OF CARGO AND MULTI MODAL TRANSPORT
- In the feasibility surveys conducted in 2010 and 2013, it was found that the site would be less than 2 km from the East-West corridor (NH-28) connecting Porbandarin Gujarat to Silchar in Assam.
- It also noted the cargo potential given the fact that Nepal was a land locked country.
- With both the Central and UP governments hoping to make Ayodhya an international tourism hub after the work on the Ram Temple was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi last month, the state has started work on a detailed development plan for the town with an International Airport at the top of its agenda.
- Though in 2014 an MOU was signed with the Airports Authority of India for upgradation of the existing airport, the project could not take off.
- Last year, the state got a feasibility study conducted on the 178 acre area used for flying club activities and non-scheduled fights by small aircraft.
- The target is to start the first phase of what will be an International Airport project by end of 2021.
JEWAR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
- Being developed in Gautam Budh Nagar district of the National Capital Region, the long-pending project was first proposed during the Rajnath Singh-led BJP government in the state in 2001.
- This was never an easy project given that there was the Indira Gandhi International Airport at Delhi within a 150-km radius.
- The contract for development and operation of the project was given to Zurich Airport in November 2019 with a completion date of 2023.
- The latest airport announced by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, this project will come in the underdeveloped Sonebhadra district of Eastern Uttar Pradesh.
- Sonbhadra is the secondlargest district by area of Uttar Pradesh, India. Sonbhadra is the only district in India which borders four states namely Madhya Pradesh in west, Chhattishgarh in south, Jharkhand in south east and Bihar in the northeast.
- One of the aspirational districts identified by NITI Ayog, Union Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri had adopted it as a Rajya Sabha member and routed MP funds too.
- There is an existing airstrip in Myorpur area which the government now plans to develop under the UDAN scheme of the Government of India.