The Hindu Newspaper Analysis for UPSC
- A new species of endemic honeybee has been discovered in the Western Ghats. The new species has been named Apis karinjodian and given the common name Indian black honeybee.
- The distribution of Apis karinjodian ranges from the central Western Ghats and Nilgiris to the southern Western Ghats, covering the States of Goa, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- It is after a gap of more than 200 years that a new species of honeybee has been spotted in the Western Ghats. The last honeybee described from India was Apis indica in 1798 by Fabricius.
- Twenty-one months after a military coup, which derailed a decade-old experiment with limited democracy, Myanmar is struggling to cope with the consequences.
- When the Tatmadaw (military), unhappy with the victory of the Aung San Suu Kyi-led National League for Democracy in the November 2020 elections, chose to violate the constitution, it acted in the belief that the people would accept its diktat, as they had done in previous decades.
- The western powers have been severely critical of the military. They have put in place several restrictive measures and imposed more sanctions.
- On the other hand, Russia has given considerable backing to the military regime, seeing in its own isolation an opportunity to strengthen bilateral cooperation in defence and energy supplies.
- China is keeping a door open to democratic forces even while doing business with the regime and exploiting every opportunity to ensure progress on the China-Myanmar Economic Corridor.
- India is concerned as the post-coup conditions have adversely impacted its interests and hampered bilateral cooperation.
- The Union government has issued an alert on the illegal stay of Bangladeshi nationals in India.
- The illegal immigrants who initially obtained Aadhaar cards moved to different parts of the country to get employment and settled there. Some managed to get other proof of address or identity such as bank passbook, voter identity card and PAN card, the sources said.
- The Centre’s alert said some people in West Bengal were acting as agents by providing fraudulently obtained Indian identity documents, particularly Aadhaar cards, for a fee.
- The first-ever recording of the snow leopard from the Baltal-Zojila region has renewed hopes for the elusive predator in the higher altitudes of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.
- “The Snow Leopard Population Assessment of India (SPAI) has been concluded so far in Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand. The estimated population of the great cat is 50 and 100, respectively, in these two States,” he said.
- Scientific Name: Panthera uncia.
- Habitat: Cold High Mountains.
- These are found in 12 countries including China, Bhutan, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Russia & Mongolia.
- China has the world’s largest snow leopard population.
- Protection Status:
- IUCN List of Threatened Species: Vulnerable.
- CITES: Appendix I.
- Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972: Schedule-I.
- Delegates at the COP-27 climate summit in Egypt agreed after late-night talks to put the delicate issue of whether rich nations should compensate poor countries most vulnerable to climate change on the formal agenda for the first time.
- For more than a decade, wealthy nations have rejected official discussions on what is referred to as loss and damage, or funds they provide to help poor countries cope with the consequences of global warming.
- The loss and damage discussions now on the COP-27 agenda will not guarantee compensation or necessarily acknowledge liability, but are intended to lead to a conclusive decision “no later than 2024”
- The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change(UNFCCC) is an international environmental treaty which seeks to reduce atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases, with the aim of preventing dangerous anthropogenic interference with the earth’s climate system.
- The UNFCCC, signed in 1992 at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development also known as the Earth Summit, the Rio Summit or the Rio Conference
- It is a framework which requires individual participating countries to commit to stabilizing greenhouse gas emissions.
- There are 197 parties to the convention, who meet annually in Conferences of the Parties (COP) to assess progress in dealing with climate change.
- Nineteen persons died in a plane crash in Lake Victoria in Tanzania on Sunday, Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa said, after the Precision Air flight with dozens of passengers aboard plunged into water while approaching the northwestern city of Bukoba in the country.
- Article 44 contained in part IV of the Constitution says that the state “shall endeavour to secure for the citizens a uniform civil code throughout the territory of India”.
- the framers of the Constitution envisioned that it would be a uniform set of laws that would replace the distinct personal laws of each religion with regard to matters like marriage, divorce, adoption, and inheritance.
- Part IV of the Constitution outlines the Directive Principles of State Policy, which, while not enforceable or justiciable in a court of law, are fundamental to the country’s governance.
- The clause on UCC generated substantial debate in the Constituent Assembly about whether it should be included as a fundamental right or a directive principle. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar felt that while desirable, the UCC should remain “purely voluntary” in the initial stages.
- The Supreme Court in various judgements has called for the implementation of the UCC. In its Mohd. Ahmed Khan vs Shah Bano Begum judgement of 1985, where a divorced Muslim woman demanded maintenance from her former husband, the apex court while deciding whether to give prevalence to the CrPc or the Muslim personal law, called for the implementation of the UCC.
- The Court also called on the government to implement the UCC in the 1995 Sarla Mudgal judgement as well as in the Paulo Coutinho vs Maria Luiza Valentina Pereira case (2019).
- In 2018, the Law Commission submitted a 185-page consultation paper on the reform of family law. The paper stated that a unified nation did not necessarily need “uniformity”, adding that secularism could not contradict the plurality prevalent in the country.
- On November 1, Elon Musk-owned SpaceX launched the Falcon Heavy rocket into a geosynchronous Earth orbit from the Launch Complex 39A at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, U.S.
- The company hails this as the most powerful operational rocket in the world. This is the fourth launch of the giant rocket system, and the first one in nearly three years since its last launch in 2019.
- Merlin is a family of rocket engines developed by SpaceX for use on its Falcon 1, Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy launch vehicles.
Q) Mathura-Vrindavan is located on the banks of which of the following river?
मथुरा-वृंदावन निम्नलिखित में से किस नदी के तट पर स्थित है?
According to Uttar Pradesh government, Mathura-Vrindavan, one of India’s largest pilgrimage centres, aims to become a “net zero carbon emission” tourist destination by 2041.
- It is located on the banks of the river Yamuna.
- It is situated the birthplace of Lord Krishna.
- The entire land is dotted with magnificent temples, dedicated to various aspects of his life.
- Some of the famous temples are: Govind Dev Temple, Rangaji Temple, Dwarikadhish Temple, Bankey Bihari Temple and the ISKCON Temple.
- Gokul, Barsana and Goverdhan are the other township associated with the legend of Lord Krishna.
Q) Consider the following statements:
- Bonalu is an annual festival that is celebrated in the state of Telangana.
- It is celebrated in the month of Ashad.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
निम्नलिखित कथनों पर विचार करें:
- बोनालू एक वार्षिक उत्सव है जो तेलंगाना राज्य में मनाया जाता है।
- यह आषाढ़ के महीने में मनाया जाता है।
ऊपर दिए गए कथनों में से कौन-सा/से सही है/हैं?
- केवल 1
- केवल 2
- दोनों 1 और 2
- न तो 1 और न ही 2
- Context: Rahul Gandhi joins Telangana’s traditional Bonalu festival and picked up a heavy rope and whipped himself as he donned the avatar of ‘potharaju”.
- It is a traditional Hindu festival centred on the Goddess Mahakali from Telangana.
- Potharaju, a key figure in the Bonalu festival, is the fearsome brother of the goddess Mahankali, who wields a whip to protect the goddess.
- Bonalu involves the worship of the Mother Goddess in regional forms like Maisamma, Pochamma, Yellamma, Peddhamma, Dokkalamma, Ankalamma, Poleramma, Maremma, Nookalamma.
Q) Wangala festival is celebrated by
वांगला उत्सव मनाया जाता है
- Wangala is also called the festival of “The Hundred Drums”, a harvest festival celebrated by the Garo tribe, who live in Meghalaya, Nagaland and Assam in India and Greater Mymensingh in Bangladesh. In this post-harvest festival, they give thanks to Misi Saljong the sun god, for blessing the people with a rich harvest.
Q) Kumārasaṃbhavam was written by
- Bharat Muni
कुमारसम्भवम किसके द्वारा लिखा गया था
- भरत मुनि
- Kalidasa’s epic Sanskrit work Kumarasambhavam may have influenced Malayalam art and literature, and Kathakali dance.
- Kumārasaṃbhavam is an epic poem by Kālidāsa. It is widely regarded as the finest work of Kālidāsa as well as the greatest kāvya poem in Classical Sanskrit.
- The work describes the courting of the ascetic Shiva, who is meditating in the mountains, by Parvati, the daughter of the Himalayas.
Q) Consider the following pairs:
- Warli paintings: Maharashtra
- Madhubani painting:Bihar
- Cheriyal paintings: Kerala
Which of the above given pairs is/are correctly matched?
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
निम्नलिखित जोड़े पर विचार करें:
- वार्ली पेंटिंग: महाराष्ट्र
- मधुबनी पेंटिंग: बिहारी
- चेरियाल पेंटिंग: केरल
ऊपर दिए गए युग्मों में से कौन-सा/से सही सुमेलित है/हैं?
- केवल 1 और 2
- केवल 2 और 3
- केवल 1 और 3
- 1, 2 और 3
- Warli paintings: Warli painting is a type of tribal art that is predominantly done by tribal people from Maharashtra’s North Sahyadri Range. This tribal art originated in Maharashtra and is still practised today.
- Madhubani painting: It is a well-known form of art famous in the state of Bihar in India. This exceptional art form has five different styles (Bharni, Kachni, Tantrik, Godna, Kohbar) with distinct features.
- The Cheriyal paintings represent a distinct local invention, based mainly on local traditions. The Nakashis are the artists of Telangana and the scrolls constitute a key element of the social and cultural setting of Telangana. These paintings were mostly confined to Cheriyal village, and hence called Cheriyal scrolls.
Mains Practice Question:
Q) Discuss the interrelationship between an outbreak of a disease and economy of a country. (150 words)
किसी देश की बीमारी के प्रकोप और अर्थव्यवस्था के बीच अंतर्संबंधों की विवेचना कीजिए। (150 शब्द)