About Technical Textiles Guidelines
General Guidelines for Enabling of Academic Institutes in Technical Textiles- For Private & Public Institutes
Objectives of the Guidelines
- To enable ‘New Technical Textiles Degree Programme (UG & PG)’ and updating of existing degree programmes with new papers of Technical Textiles.
- To develop an eco-system in technical textiles not only in textile field but other disciplines of Engineering like Civil, Mechanical, and Electronics etc.
- To create a world-class knowledge ecosystem to make India a world leader in the field of technical textiles in the next decade.
General Guidelines for Grant for Internship Support in Technical Textiles (GIST)
Objectives of the Guidelines
- Objective: To create quality and skilled manpower for technical textiles industry along with fostering Academia – Industry linkages in the field of Technical Textiles.
- Under this, a grant of upto INR 20,000 per student per month shall be provided for a period of 2 months of internship period.
What are Technical Textiles?
- Technical textiles are functional fabrics that have applications across various industries including automobiles, civil engineering and construction, agriculture, healthcare, industrial safety, personal protection etc.
- Based on usage, there are 12 technical textile segments:
Conventional Textiles v/s Technical Textiles
|Conventional Textiles||Technical Textiles|
About the National Technical Textiles Mission (NTTM)
- Launch: It was approved in 2020 by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) with the aim to position the country as a global leader in technical textiles and increase the use of technical textiles in the domestic market.
- Implementation period: FY 2020-21 to 2023-24.
- Outlay: Rs. 1480 crores.
- Goal: To achieve a market size of $40 billion and export of $10 billion in the technical textiles segment by 2024-25.
- The focus of the Mission is also for developing on usage of technical textiles in various flagship missions, programmes of the country including strategic sectors.
- Components: The mission has four components:
- First Component: It will focus on research, development and innovation with an outlay of Rs. 1,000 crores.
- Second Component: It will be for the promotion and development of the market for technical textiles.
- Third Component: It will focus on export promotion so that technical textile exports from the country reach from Rs 14,000 crores to Rs 20,000 crores by 2021-2022 and ensure 10% average growth every year till the Mission ends.
- Fourth Component: It will focus on education, training and skill development.
Initiatives Related to Technical Textiles
- Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for Textiles Sector: It aims to promote the production of high-value Man-Made Fiber (MMF) fabrics, garments and technical textiles.
- 100% FDI under Automatic Route: The Government of India allows 100% Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) under automatic route.
- Harmonized System of Nomenclature (HSN) Codes for Technical Textile: In 2019, the Government of India dedicated 207 HSN codes to technical textiles to help in monitoring the data of import and export, in providing financial support and other incentives to manufacturers.
- Technotex India: It is a flagship event organized by the Ministry of Textiles and comprises exhibitions, conferences and seminars with the participation of stakeholders from across the global technical textile value chain.