- Aimed at strengthening the government response at grassroots level, the Tamil Nadu government has set up District Climate Change Missions, a move welcomed by experts with a word of caution.
- Earlier in March, the state government had issued orders for constitution of the “Tamil Nadu Climate Change Mission“, an initiative with “the vision to make Tamil Nadu a climate smart state.”
About the Mission
- The Tamil Nadu government has established District Climate Change Missions in all 38 districts.
- The missions will be headed by the Collectors as Mission Directors. The District Forest Officers will function as Climate Officers.
Objective of the Mission
- To strengthen the government’s climate response at the grassroots.
- The missions will create a strong policy support across all sectors of governance, devise strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and bench-mark industries to move towards green manufacturing.
- They will also promote eco-friendly technologies, such as solar and wind energy technologies, biodegradable packaging and e-vehicles.
- Educating local communities in the management of climate change and creating technologies for evidence-based green models for adaptation and practical models for green mobility are the other objectives.
Ground Level Working
- The Collectors will have to prepare district-level climate change mitigation and adaptation plans, build capacity and provide inputs for low-carbon, climate-resilient development plans.
- Another key deliverable is strengthening the ‘Meendum Manjappai‘ campaign against the use of single-use plastic.
- The Collectors will also work towards strengthening Climate Smart Villages and create bio-shields in the coastal areas.
Tamil Nadu’s ‘Meendum Manjappai’ scheme
- To promote the use of cloth bags by the public and discourage the use of plastic bags.
- This awareness campaign on using ‘yellow’ cloth bag or ‘manjapai’ as it is called in Tamil, is aimed at encouraging the people to return to the use of this eco-friendly bag and discard the plastic bags.
- The state government had enforced a ban on the production, use, storage, distribution, transportation or sale of 14 types of plastics with effect from January 1, 2019.
- The government has initially sanctioned ₹3.80 crore for 38 district missions which will function under the supervision of the Tamil Nadu Climate Change Mission and Tamil Nadu Green Climate Company, a special purpose vehicle established to manage Tamil Nadu Climate Change Mission, Green Tamil Nadu Mission and Tamil Nadu Wetlands Mission.
Need of this mission
- Despite being one of the most progressive and industralised states, Tamil Nadu is facing a climate change crisis with the problems of coastal erosion, depleting water resources, severe weather events and rising temperatures manifesting more recently.
Climate Vulnerability Index:
- Environmental think tank Council on Energy, Environment and Water analysed 640 districts in India to assess their vulnerability to extreme weather events.
- According to this report titled “Mapping India’s Climate Vulnerability – A district-level Assessment”, 463 out of 640 districts are vulnerable to extreme floods, droungts and cyclones.
India and Climate Change efforts
- The National Action Plan on Climate change was formally launched on June 30th, 2008. The NAPCC identifies measures that promote development objectives while also yielding co-benefits for addressing climate change effectively.
- There are eight “National Missions” which form the core of the National action plan. They focus on promoting understanding of climate change, adaptation and mitigation, energy efficiency and natural resource conservation.”
The eight missions are:
- National Solar Mission
- National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency
- National Mission on Sustainable Habitat
- National Water Mission
- National Mission for Sustaining the Himalayan Ecosystem
- National Mission for a Green India
- National Mission fro Sustainable Agriculture
- National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change
- The other is India’s Intended Nationally Determined Commitments (INDC) submitted to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) on October 2, 2015. The NAPCC has an essentially domestic focus.
- The INDC is a statement of intent on Climate Change action announced in the run-up to the Paris Climate Change summit held in December of the same year.
- Furthermore, India is a signatory to “Male’ Declaration” wherein the health sector has to be strengthened to make it climate resilient.
- The Male’ Declaration, it is desired that health-care facilities should be prepared & climate-resilient, particularly in promoting to encourage that these can withstand any climatic event, and that essential services such as water, sanitation, waste management, and electricity are functional during such events.
UNFCCC Secretariat (UN Climate Change):
- It was established in 1992 when countries adopted the UNFCCC.
- Focuses Located in Bonn, Germany.
- on facilitating intergovernmental climate change negotiations.
- Provides technical expertise and assistance on analysis and review of climate change reports presented by the parties.
- Plays a crucial role in implementation of the Kyoto Protocol and the Paris Agreement.
What is the another name of Earth Summit?
- Geneva Summit
- Brasilia Summit
- Rio Summit
- World Summit