In News: The Government of Odisha formulated an umbrella scheme ‘Sweekruti’ in 2017, to secure the rights of transgender persons and ensure equitable justice.
- The Social Security and Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (SSEPD) Department, Government of Odisha recognized that Transgender Persons are a valuable human resources for the society and launched Sweekruti Scheme, with the following objectives:
- To create an enabling environment to ensure equal opportunities, equity, social justice & empowerment of transgender persons of the state.
- To encourage voluntary action and participation of all stakeholders for ensuring effective social integration of transgender persons.
- To expand outreach activities for protection of rights and entitlements of transgender persons in the state.
- To promote individual and group endeavours by transgender persons for employment, self-employment and other socio-educational services.
- To strengthen the existing implementation machinery and create facilities for coverage of all transgender persons of the state.
- Key strategies under the scheme include:
- Survey and identify all transgender persons in the State, and issue certificates and multipurpose smart cards.
- Assist the parents of transgender children and provide pre and post-matric scholarships.
- Upgrade skills and entrepreneurship development training by strengthening self-help groups.
- Provide support for critical health care and group insurance support for transgender persons.
- Provide legal aid, counselling and guidance services for transgender persons.
- Organise awareness and sensitisation campaigns on rights of transgender persons and provide training to staff and volunteers.
- Also, NITI Aayog in its India Voluntary National Review 2020 (IVNR) report on UN Sustainable Development Goals has appreciated the Odisha Government for implementing the Sweekruti Scheme to protect the rights of the transgender community.