- Shah Faesal was born in the Sogam area of Lolab Valley Oon 1983, a district in Kupwara, Jammu and Kashmir. His father, Ghulam Rasool Shah, was a teacher.
- Not only was his father a teacher, but his mother, Mubeena Varrier, as well as grandfather were teachers.
- He is a 2008 batch graduate of the Jhelum Valley Medical College. He holds an MBBS degree from Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS), Srinagar as well as has a master’s degree in Urdu.
- In 2009, he became the first Kashmiri to get first place in the UPSC civil services exam, which he also cleared on his first attempt.
- He was the fourth Muslim (after Independence) to top the civil service exam.During his career as a civil servant, Shah Faesal served in postings such as deputy commissioner (Bandipora), assistant commissioner (Pulwama) and director school education, Kashmir.
- He resigned from IAS on 9 January 2019 citing “unabated killings” in Kashmir among other things, announcing the resignation through a Facebook post.
- On 16 March 2019 he announced through Facebook that he would be launching his own political party on 17 March, the Jammu & Kashmir Peoples’ Movement (JKPM).
- On August 14, 2019 he was detained while flying out of IGI Airport to Turkey and sent back to Kashmir
- He was first kept at the Centaur Hotel in Srinagar and then shifted to the MLA hostel where he spent the next six months. In February 2020, he was detained under the Public Safety Act. On 13 May 2020 his detention has been extended by 3 months.