Who is Hafiz Saeed?
- Hafiz Muhammad Saeed is a Pakistani Islamic terrorist who is a co-founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and the chief of Jama’at-ud-Da’wah (JuD), operating mainly from Pakistan.
- Hafiz Saeed is listed on the NIA Most Wanted list and UN designated terrorist.
- India has banned his organisations LeT and JuD as terrorist organisations.
- US has a bounty of $10m on his capture.
- Hafiz Muhammad Saeed was born in a family of Sargodha, Punjab in Pakistan. His family had migrated from East Punjab and reached Pakistan after Partition.
- A major early influence on his life and ideology was his maternal uncle Hafiz Abdullah Bahawalpuri who held that democracy was incompatible with Islam.
- Saeed graduated from university of Sargodha.
- After graduation in 1974, Hafiz Saeed was appointed lecturer at the University of Engineering and Technology (UET), Lahore in the Islamiat department.
- Later he went for higher studies to Saudi Arabia and became intimate with the infamous Saudi scholar, Sheikh Abdul Aziz bin Baz.
- Note: Sheikh Abdul Aziz bin Baz issues fatwa of jihad in Afganistan in 1979
- Saeed joined the training camp of Abdur Rasul Sayyaf in Afghanistan, where he linked up with the teacher of Osama bin Laden, Abdullah Azzam. He met Bin laden several times.
- In 1990, he helped setup Lashkar-e-Taiba with assistance of ISI.
The Return to Pakistan
- LeT under Saeed became a well-known jihadi outfit in the region, boasting of 1,100 martyrs and fight for Kashmir by 2001.
- In 2003 the LeT was banned. It then became Jamaat-ud-Dawa and devoted itself to serving al Qaeda as a coordinating agency with networks in Pakistan.
- 2003: Bin Laden’s ally, Abu Zubaydah, was caught in Faisalabad from a safe house of Hafiz Saeed.
- 2001: Parliament attack
- 2006: Train bombings in Mumbai
- 2008: Mumbai attacks
- US had arrested Saeed in 2001, but released later. Pakistan had termed this illegal detention.
- 2009: Pakistan placed Saeed under house arrest but all charges were later quashed.
Pakistan – A Safe Haven
- Saeed’s Jamaat-ud-dawah has been active in Pakistan for years now.
- It is said that Saeed’s LeT & JUD run stealth courts all over Pakistan based on Sharia law.
- In fact, in 2018, during the time of the Pakistan national elections, Saeed had entered the political arena, floating a political party named ‘Milli Muslim League’.
Why was he arrested?
Real Arrest or Drama?