Refugees Policy of India
UPSC General Studies Paper 1 And IR
- India respects & follows the UN Refugee Convention 1951 & provides refuge to all
- Passport act 1920
- Refugee have right to produce before the court
- State and Union govt. have right to deport
- Will be deported once the origin state confirms
- The Foreigners Act, 1946
- The Registration of Foreigners Act, 1939
- The Passport (Entry into India) Act, 1920
- The Citizenship Act, 1955.
- Refugees and their prolonged stay in countries (a lot of times, they become citizens) severely impact local populations.
- Intense rivalry between locals and refugees.
- Government starts to divert the resources.
- Fight for the natural resources (like food, water etc).
- Introduce an unknown culture which ends up jeopardizing the locals.