- India-US-Japan-Australia Quadrilateral initiative, or Quad, at its maiden summit has decided to build a first-of-its-kind joint vaccine supply chain to address the current and any future pandemic situations in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Quad leaders PM Narendra Modi, US President Joe Biden, and PMs Scott Morrison of Australian and Yoshihide Suga of Japan adopted a positive agenda and vision focusing on contemporary issues like
- Climate change
- Emerging technology
What does this mean for India?
- India’s role in the Quad Vaccine Initiative will project and reinforce its credentials as a trusted, reliable manufacturer and supplier of quality vaccines.
- It will strengthen India’s standing as the “pharmacy of the world”, as a critical node in global health supply chains.
- India has already established itself as a regional & reliable player in the global supply chain for its Vaccine Maitri initiative in which India provided vaccines to 70 countries which has been appreciated by other leaders.
- What does this mean for Indo-Pacific?
- The pooling of individual capacities and strengths by the Quad countries will expedite global vaccine delivery.
- It will help meet the demand-supply gap, focusing on the Indo-Pacific region especially with expertise of Australia & Japan for logistics in Indo-pacific islands.
- This initiative could challenge the influence of China in the indo pacific region.
What does this mean for the World?
- This QUAD collaboration will strengthen equitable vaccine access for the Indo-Pacific as well as other regions because QUAD will work closely with multilateral organisations like WHO and COVAX.
- COVAX or COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access is a global initiative aimed at equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines led by UNICEF, GAVI, WHO, the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), and others.