SUSHANT SINGH RAJPUT
- After Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s demise on June 14, the film industry has been offering their condolences to his family. Unlike most Bollywood stars, Sushant did not come from a film family and struggled his way to the top.
- A few years ago, Sushant was asked about nepotism in Bollywood at an awards show, and he said, “Nepotism is there, it’s everywhere, not just in Bollywood. You can’t do anything about it. Nepotism can co-exist and nothing would happen but at the same time, if you deliberately don’t allow the right talent to come up, then there is a problem. Then the whole structure of the industry would collapse one day. But till then, it’s fine.”
SUSHANT SINGH RAJPUT
- He added, “Nepotism can co-exist with all the talented people also and you will get wonderful films because then they will be competing with each other and that would raise the performance.”
- Their condolence messages didn’t go well with some people on social media and once again sparked the debate around nepotism and favouritism in the Hindi film industry.
- Some even brought up an episode of Koffee With Karan where KJo asked Alia to rate three male actors in a Rapid Fire question. The options were Sushant Singh Rajput, Ranveer Singh and Varun Dhawan. On this Alia Bhatt replied, “Sushant Singh Rajput, who?”
- As #JusticeForSushantSinghRajput became a top trend on Twitter, there was a flurry of activity on the handles of Karan Johar and Alia Bhat.
- Filmmakers Anubhav Sinha, Hansal Mehta, Shekhar Kapur, actors Nikhil Dwivedi and Kangana Ranaut also took a dig at the big banners of Bollywood. Sinha wrote on Twitter, “The Bollywood Privilege Club must sit down and think hard tonight. PS- Now don’t ask me to elaborate any further.”
- Hansal Mehta shared his advice for “outsiders” in the industry as he tweeted, “There are many young ‘outsiders’ in this industry. Remember this – there is an establishment that will make you feel like the next big thing until they need you. They will drop you and mock you as soon as you falter. Do not fall for the trap. The ones that celebrate you..will celebrate your downfall some time later.”
SOCIAL MEDIA HASHTAGS
- and many more
Latest Burning Issues | Free PDF