What has happened?
- Even as the country is battling with the Covid-19 pandemic, another outbreak of a deadly disease has put the authorities on high alert.
- Mucormycosis, a rare but deadly fungal disease, has been affecting an increasing number of people across India.
- After being reported in Delhi and Mumbai, the killer disease has now affected Ahmedabad with 44 people already being hospitalised for the illness..
- An infection occurs when a microorganism enters a person’s body and causes harm.
- The microorganism uses that person’s body to sustain itself, reproduce, and colonize. These infectious microscopic organisms are known as pathogens like:
- Fungal diseases are often very common in the environment.
- Most fungi are not dangerous, but some types can be harmful to health.
- Mild fungal skin diseases can look like a rash and are very common.
- Fungal diseases in the lungs are often similar to other illnesses such as the flu or tuberculosis.
What is mucormycosis?
- Previously called zygomycosis, mucormycosis is a serious and rare fungal infection caused by a group of molds called mucormycetes.
- These molds live throughout the environment.
- While a quick diagnosis and treatment can cure the patient, left untreated, it can prove fatal.
- The infection usually starts from the nose and spreads to eyes.
- As the infection spreads, it paralyses muscles around the pupils of the eye, leading to blindness.
- If the fungal infection spreads to the brain, the patient can get
- This alarming affliction, although rare, is not new.
- Black Fungus or mucormycosis has been a cause of disease and death of patients in transplants, and ICU since long.
- However, it is the rapid increase in the numbers seen in unsuspected recovering COVID-19 patients that is causing the grave concern.
How it is linked to COVID-19?
- Fungal infection triggered most in the patients who have recovered from COVID-19.
- Mucormycosis mainly affects people who have health problems or take medicines that lower the body’s ability to fight germs and sickness.
- This puts people recovering from Covid-19 or post-Covid issues at high risk.
- According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),
- Mostly, the disease affects the people who have prior health problems or
- Take medicines that lower the body’s ability to tackle germs and illness.
- People with diabetes and health problems are also at high risk.
- In Ahmedabad, the majority of patients who have come to the civil hospital with mucormycosis had diabetes and were recovering from Covid-19.
- If you have swelling or pain in your nose and/or blurred eyesight, you should go to the doctor immediately.
- Most patients require both anti-fungal medication as well as surgical debridement.
- This is because they already suffered significant tissue damage by the time the diagnosis is made.
Q) Excessive bleeding during an injury is a deficiency of?
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin E