Legal rights of unmarried Couples
- Unmarried couples can check-in to a hotel together provided they are above 18 years of age and possess a valid identity proof.
- Unmarried couples from the same city can check into a hotel room.
- No law forbids an unmarried couple to rent a house in India.
- The Constitution of India or any other statute does not restrict unmarried couples sitting in a public place.
- The police cannot harass unmarried couples for engaging in consensual sex in private places.
- The Supreme Court has held the legitimacy of children born out of live-in relationships where the couple has been cohabitating for a considerable period of time.
S.P.S. Balasubramanyam v. Suruttayan
- The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 acknowledges the right of partners in a live-in relationship to get protection from abusive relationships.