Context: In a first of its kind initiative in Kerala State, the target to declare Kollam a totally Constitution literate district on August 14 midnight, has been taken up.
About the Initiative
- Kollam has become the first constitution literate district in the country, the feat which was achieved by educating families on the basic principles of the Constitution as part of The Citizen, a constitution literacy campaign.
- Conducting: The campaign was jointly organised by the Kollam district panchayat, District Planning Committee, and the Kerala Institute of Local Administration (KILA).
- Initiative: As part of the campaign, the entire population of Kollam above the age of 10 will be briefed on the preamble of the Constitution and the historical background of the document, its basic principles, fundamental rights of citizens, and legal remedies.
- Idea behind the campaign: The idea of the campaign is to equip the people to uphold constitutional values in personal life, family life, and socio-political, economic, and cultural life.
- Participants: Everyone, including government institutions, private establishments, socio-cultural organisations, and educational institutions, will be made participants in the campaign.