- Eight policemen, including a deputy superintendent of police, were killed during an operation to nab gangster Vikas Dubey late on Thursday in Uttar Pradesh’s Kanpur district.
- The police team was out to look for him after a villager, Rahul Tiwari, lodged a case of attempt to murder against Vikas Dubey recently.
- They had conducted raids on the basis of Tiwari’s first information report (FIR) in Bikru village.
- Apart from this, there are 60 cases, including that of murder, robberies and kidnappings, against Vikas Dubey.
- Vikas Dubey was the prime accused in the murder of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Santosh Shukla, who had been given the rank of a minister of state, inside the Shivli police station in 2001.
- The resident of Bikru village, where he keeps a private army, was later acquitted by a session court.
- Dubey, who is in his 40s, was also named in the murder of Siddheshwar Pandey, the principal and assistant manager of Tarachand Inter College, in 2000.
- He had joined the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and was elected as a member of the nagar panchayat.
- The police team comprising of 15-16 personnel had gone to nab history-sheeter Vikas Dubey. As the police team was about to reach the hideout of the dreaded criminal, it came under attack of Dubey’s men who were prepared with arms on the rooftop of a building, leaving Deputy SP Devendra Mishra, three sub-inspectors and four constables dead.
- Among the deceased included 1 DSP, 3 Sub-Inspector and 4 constables. The other four policemen, who received bullet shots and were injured in the ambush.
The policemen who achieved martyrdom are:
- Devendra Kumar Mishra, CEO Bilhaur
2. Mahesh Yadav, SO Shivrajpur
3. Anup Kumar, police station in-charge Mandhana
4. Shivrajpur sub-inspector, Nebulal
5. Constable Chaubeypur, Sultan Singh
6. Bitthor constable Rahul
7. Bitthor constable Jitnedra
8. Bitthor constable Bablu