Three J&K Writers Win Sahitya Akademi Award 2021
- Three eminent writers from J&K have won prestigious Sahitya Akademi Award-2021 for their literary works in Dogri, Kashmiri and Punjabi languages.
- Raj Rahi from Reasi, Khalid Hussain from Ustad Mohalla in Jammu and Wali Mohd Aseer Kashtawari from Kishtwar, presently putting up at Sunjwan, Jammu, have been selected for the Sahitya Akademi Awards.
- Raj Rahi’s short stories book in Dogri, titled ‘Namme Tunnel’ has won the Sahitya Akademi Award while Khalid Hussain’s short stories in Punjabi `Sullan Da Salan’ and Aseer Kashtawari’s literary criticism in Kashmiri language, ‘Tawazum’ have been awarded this prestigious award for the year 2021.
- The Akademi also announced Yuva Puraskar to Kashmiri writer Razi Tahir Bhagat for his collection of short stories ‘Yeli Aene Phut’ and in Dogri to Arun Aksh Dev for his collection of poetry ‘Phang Honsele De’; and Bal Sahitya Puraskar in Kashmiri to Majeed Majazi for his collection of short stories ‘Phulai Gulan Henz’ and in Dogri to Narsingh Dev Jamwal for his short novel ‘Khadak Singh Te Usda Guglu’.
- Sahitya Akademi Award 2021 will include a casket containing a shawl, an engraved copper plaque, and an amount of Rs. 1,00,000.
- Sahitya Akademi Award established in 1954 by Sahitya Akademi is a literary honour in India that is conferred on the writers of the most outstanding books of literary merit that are published in any of the 24 major Indian languages.
3 J&K Resident Received Padma Awards 2022
- Three persons from Jammu and Kashmir Union Territory figured in the list of the prestigious Padma Shri awards announced by the Centre on the eve of 73rd Republic Day.
- Sh. Ghulam Nabi Azad has been awarded Padma Bhushan while Prof Vishwamurti Shastri from Jammu and Faisal Ali Dar from Kashmir, have been awarded Padma Shri for their distinguished services in different fields.
- Senior Congress leader Sh. Ghulam Nabi Azad, who has been awarded Padma Bhushan for distinguished service of high order, was the 7th Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir State from 2005 to 2008.
- Prof Vishwamurti Shastri of Jammu is a renowned Sanskrit scholar, astrologer and Member Board of Directors of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board.
- He is former Principal of Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan Jammu and Director of Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Gurukul, Katra.
- Faisal Ali Dar hailing from Bandipora district in Kashmir, has been awarded Padma Shri in the sports category for his contribution to the field over the years.
GCW Gandhinagar Renamed After Late Smt. Padma Sachdev
- Government PG College for Women Gandhi Nagar has been renamed as Padma Shri Padma Sachdev Government PG College for Women, Gandhi Nagar.
- Noted author and Padma Shri awardee Smt. Padma Sachdev, the first modern woman poet of Dogri language, passed away in August last year.
- Padma Sachdev Ji (81 was born in Purmandal area of Jammu in 1940 in the house of Sanskrit Scholar Prof Jai Dev Badu.
- She authored many books in Dogri and Hindi, and her poetry collections, including Meri Kavita Mere Geet , won her the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1971.
- She will also be remembered for her key role in the struggle for getting Dogri added to the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution.
J&K skier only Indian Participant in Winter Olympics
- Arif Khan, an alpine skier from Kashmir was the only athlete who represented India at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.
- Alpine skiing (sometimes referred to as downhill skiing) is one of the signature competitions at the Winter Olympics.
- The Winter Olympic Games is a major international multi-sport event held once every four years for sports practised on snow and ice.
- The first Winter Olympic Games were held in 1924 in Chamonix, France.