- Rail-based ‘Mass Rapid Transit System’ has been widely accepted as a solution for most of the traffic and environmental pollution related problems, however they come with their own share of critical issues. In light of the above statement, discuss the issues that Indian metro rail projects are facing and suggest measures for improving metro rail performance.
- Recently, The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Housing and Urban Affairs chaired by Jagdambika Pal, presented its report on the “implementation of Metro rail projects” to the Lok Sabha.
- The report flagged the need for a single and comprehensive legislation for all the Metro rail networks in the country.
Importance of Metro
- The Metro Rail System has proven to be most efficient means of transport.
- Reduces Congestion:
- Less energy consumption
- Fast means of transport
- High numbers transported
- Less air pollution
- Less sound pollution.
Metro in India
Existing Metro Legal Framework
- Metro Railways (Construction of Works) Act, 1978
- Calcutta Metro Railways (Operation and Maintenance) Temporary Provisions Act, 1985
- Metro Railways (Operation and maintenance) Act, 2002
- National Urban Transport Policy (NUTP), 2006
- Metro Rail Policy, 2017
- Note: Urban transport is under the domain of States.
Issues with Current Metro Projects
- The committee was informed that the Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry was in the process of drafting the Metro Rail (Construction, Operation, Maintenance and Administration) Bill, 2021, which would replace the three existing Acts.