- India’s proximity to the West and its ties with other powers gives it a foreign policy advantage. Critically analyze.
- Rajiv Bhatia:
- National interest drives foreign policy, but more is at stake here, “It is realpolitik plus.”
- Realpolitik plus policy is anchored in a nuanced balancing of interests and values. National security remains the key driver.
Evolution of Indian Foreign Policy
- Nehruvian Idealism
- Strategic Realism
- Economic Pragmatism
Understanding Realpolitik Plus
- A leading member of the UN, an oft-invitee to the G7, a founding member of the BRICS, and a pivotal part of the G20 now ready to take over as its chair.
- India has become a major stakeholder in the comity of nations…!!