2G SCAM – All Acquitted By Special Court
- Supreme Court in Yusuf Abdul Aziz v. The State of Bombay (1954). A constitutional bench held then that Section 497 did not violate the right to equality as enshrined in Articles 14 and 15 of the Constitution.
The presence of the far-right in the governing coalition is rattling nerves in Europe
- An amendment to allow NRIs to vote by proxy
- Representation of the People (Amendment) Bill of 2017, introduced by government during
winter session of Parliament, proposes to allow non-resident Indians (NRIs) to emerge as
a decisive force in the country‟s electoral politics on their own terms.
- The amendment paves the way to remove an “unreasonable restriction” posed by Section 20A of the Representation of the People Act, which requires overseas electors to be physically present in their electoral constituencies to cast their votes.
- Effort to empower NRI voters began with two PILs filed by
- 1)-V.P. Shamsheer, a U.A.E.-based doctor, and
- 2)-Nagender Chindam, chairman of Pravasi Bharat in London, in the Supreme Court
- Election Commission prepared a report titled „Exploring Feasibility of Alternative Options
for Voting by Overseas Electors
For a wider food basket
- While undernutrition remains high in India, over-nutrition too is becoming an emergency
- India ranks 114th out of 132 countries in stunting among children aged less than •five
and 120th out of 130 countries in under-5 wasting, as per the Global Nutrition Report, 2016.
- The burden of vitamin and mineral deficiencies (‘hidden hunger’) is also considerable.
- Vast majority of Indians eat cereal-based food, mainly wheat and rice.
- There is an insufficient intake of food such as milk, pulses, & fruits and vegetables, which are rich sources of micronutrients.
- Women and children are the most vulnerable to micronutrient deficiencies
- What is ironic is that over-nutrition is emerging as an emergency in India.
- As per the recent •findings of the National Family Health Survey-4 (2015-16)
- Urban women were in the category of overweight or obese (BMI of or more than 25.0 kg/m2)
- Around 15% of urban men were underweight, while 26.3% belonged to the category of
overweight and obese
- Dramatic changes in lifestyle and dietary patterns in recent decades have contributed
- How has this happened? – While the Green Revolution phase
- Sustainable Development Goal-2,
Prelims Focus Facts-News Analysis
Page-1- Severe pollution leads to warnings for NCR States
- Page-1– India votes for talks on Jerusalem
- Reiterating its traditional policy on the Israel-Palestine dispute, India on
Thursday voted for a negotiated settlement of the Jerusalem issue at the UN
General Assembly with 127 other member countries.
- The dramatic vote came a day after a fortnight-long outreach by the Arab countries to India.
- Saudi & Palestinian envoys met diplomats from Ministry of External Affairs ahead of the vote.
- Page-7– Science Congress put o•„indefinitely‟
- Security problems at Osmania University cited
- For the •first time in its 105- year history, the Indian Science Congress (ISC) — the
largest congregation of Indian scientists — has been inde•nitely postponed barely
two weeks before it was to commence.
- This is due to “security problems” at Osmania University, Hyderabad, where the event was to be organised between January 3 and January 7 next year.
- India, Russia working closely on Afghanistan: Ambassador
- Catalonia votes in election pivotal for independence bid
- ‘Budget 2018-19 may focus on rural areas