- North Korea, the world is way past tactical solutions,
- Only a comprehensive diplomatic
- solution will work
- Saddam Hussein- Iraq
- Muammar Gaddafi- Libya
- North Korean supreme leader Kim Jongun
- To give up his weapons.
- Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT) in 2003
India, Israel, Pakistan and South Sudan
- Exhausted from imposing sanctions to isolating
- China- Refugees into its territory
- Russia- No cards to play
- Japan and South Korea, in a sense, then are the real victims
- How we can live with a nuclear North Korea rather than think of impractical military
THE CRUNCH TIME OF WTO(World Trade Organisation)
- India faces a tough challenge on farm issues at the Buenos Aires( Argentina) ministerial meet- World Trade Organisation’s 11th
- With the backing of more than 100 countries, a joint proposal from India and China to eliminate the most tradedistorting farm subsidies Worth $160 billion in several industrialised economies is arguably the most contentious agenda item at the Ministerial.
- G33 coalition — which includes Indonesia, China and India seeks a complete exemption from commitments to reduce subsidies, such as minimum support prices, from this povertyalleviation
- Existential crisis facing the WTO is heightened by U.S. President Donald Trump’s combative approach to the multilateral institutional framework
Arbitrary(Arbitrary) and irrational(तर्कहीन)
- Proposal by the government to introduce a Muslim Woman Protection of Rights
on Marriage Bill in the winter session of Parliament — wherein a husband who resorts to
instant triple talaq can be jailed for up to three years and fined — needs closer scrutiny as there is stigma attached to criminal conviction.
- On August 22, 2017, a five judge Bench of the Supreme Court, in a majority 3:2 judgment,
set aside the practice of TalaqeBiddat (triple talaq); the minority view of Chief
Justice J.S. Khehar.
- Declaring triple talaq a penal offence does not stand up to first principles of criminal Jurisprudence
- If Parliament wants, it can enact a law on it.
- But nowhere in its judgment has the top court said that triple divorce is to be criminally
- No one can question Parliament’s power to legislate with respect to personal laws under
Entry 5 of the Concurrent List.
- Why did the government not look at provisions under the Indian Penal Code (IPC)
which is the general criminal law of the country? For what crimes does the IPC reserve
imprisonment of three years?
- Section 148, which is on rioting and armed with deadly weapon, has a provision of three years or with fine, or with both.
- Section 153A, which is on promoting enmity between different groups, is also for
three years, which may extend to five years and shall also be liable to fine.
- Section 237, which punishes the import or export of counterfeit coin, has the same term.
- The seserious crimes are in no way comparable to an individual who instead of taking
- Ideally, divorce should not be treated by divorcees as the end of the world.
- Our women do not need men to lead a dignified life.
- We must remove the stigma attached to divorces.
- Triple divorce should be nothing more than civil contempt of the Supreme Court.
Prelims Focus Facts-News Analysis
- Page-6- A home awaits them, across the seas
- 11 children from Krishna district adopted by foreign couples since 2016
- Since 2016, citizens of Italy, France, Singapore and other countries have adopted 11 children
- from Krishna district
- Union Ministry of Women and Child Development’s Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA), a statutory body that deals with the adoption of orphan
- mandated to monitor and regulate in-country and inter-country adoptions.
- Page-12- Jerusalem move draws more flak
- Protests in Lebanon,Indonesia &Egypt Erdoan calls Israel ‘a terrorist state that kills children’
- Page-12- ICAN receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Leader of International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), the
group that won this year’s Nobel Peace Prize, on Sunday urged nuclear nations to
adopt a UN treaty banning atomic weapons in order to prevent “the end of us”.
- Six-year-old girl raped by family friend
- Six elephants killed by speeding train- The incident happened in Assam
- We’ll convert to Buddhism: Mayawati
- U.S., Japan, S. Korea to hold joint tracking drills
- This will be the sixth such exercise
- Nepal’s Left alliance headed for majority, Oli tipped to be PM
- On North Korea, the world is way past tactical solutions. Only a comprehensive diplomatic solution will work Explain.