Towards an endgame?
- Turkey makes a decisive move against Kurdish •fighters on the border with Syria
- January 20,Turkish President RecepTayyip Erdo•an announced thatTurkish forces alongside the Free Syrian Army
- Turkey has long threatened to enter Syria and clear out the forces of the U.S.-backed Syrian
Democratic Forces (SDF).
- The SDF was created in 2015 by the various Syrian Kurdish political forces and their military
wing, the People’s Protection Units (YPG), and the Women’s Protection Units (YPJ)
- The SDF was created as a platform for the Syrian Kurds to join with these other groups into
an anti-IS military alliance.
- But, to the Turks, it has always been clear that the SDF is dominated by Syrian Kurds, and
is therefore essentially a Kurdish project.
- Heart of the conflict The war to defeat the IS at Raqqa, the major city in northern Syria
Getting back on the democratic path
- India gave itself a great system but now does not seem to know how to keep it up to
- India remains woefully short of its potential.
- Whatever our excuses-The whole essence of… Parliamentary Government lies in the
intention to make the thing work… [its] strength… is exactly measured by the unity of political parties upon its fundamental objects.
- Our social tensions need sensitive healing.
- Our administrative machinery desperately needs efficiency
- Countries worldwide •find existing governmental systems unable to cope with contemporary challenges or people’s expectations, some even with basic needs
- Democracy depends on the Enlightenment’s ideals
- offering no vision, no version of our future, which could possibly inspire anybody
- China’s record over the last century is hardly edifying revolutions, civil war, famines
, warlords, etc.
- Corruption is rampant, sloth and incompetence hardly unknown,
but things get done because there is a directing force
- Which devises and executes forward – looking plans for national greatness.
- We gave ourselves a great system but have not known how to keep it up to standard.
- A government must be •fitted to a nation as much as a coat to the Individual
- Power between executive, legislature and judiciary is undermined
- Our political executives are self-seeking while the permanent branches are dysfunctional;
- Our legislatures hardly meet and when they do there is bedlam;
- Our judiciary, the last remaining estate to retain some public respect,
- Some problems have no solutions-We never grew out of our old ways.
- Khap panchayats, disgraceful dowry systems, blatant practice of untouchability
- The road map ahead
- We need a planned, determined push to make our system work and modernise.
- Only an organised body with such a purpose can do anything
- We the people are ultimately responsible but political leaders have to lead
Prelims Focus Facts-News Analysis
- Page-1– Loya death will be examined objectively, says CJI Bench
- Circumstances surrounding the death of CBI judge B.H. Loya
- Page-1-The Hindu is the undisputed #1 English daily in South India
- The Hindu has retained its undisputed leadership amongst English language newspapers in South India, based on the recently released Indian Readership
Survey (IRS) 2017, with a total readership of 38.5 lakhs
in South India.
- The Times of India’s 29.6 lakhs,
- Deccan Chronicle’s readership (13.8 lakhs) and
- Deccan Herald’s readership (9.7 lakhs)
- Page-7– Now, an app to report roadkill in wildlife habitats
- Users can upload geotagged photos to a public forum
- Mobile-based application,‘Roadkills’, launched on Jan 21 by theWildlife Conservation Trust, will help citizens report such wildlife deaths by uploading geotagged photographs to a public forum.
- Data generated can be used to identify crucial road or rail stretches that urgently require mitigation measures-Help identify crucial sections of roads or railway lines where animal deaths are high to pinpoint regions
- Two States call for SC rethink on Padmaavat
- Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh governments
- Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) announced that it is acquiring a 51.11% stake of
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (HPCL)
- Former Maldives President accuses China of ‘land grab’- Mohamed Nasheed
- ‘Chinese interests are building ports and other infrastructure
- Jerusalem Embassy to open in 2019- U.S. Embassy will be
moved fromTelAviv to Jerusalem by the end of 2019
- IMF raises global growth forecast, sees U.S. tax boost
- world economy expanding by 3.9% in 2018 and 2019