On a new keel : Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s visit
- Netanyahu in Gujarat,Taj Mahal
- Fully normalising the bilateral relationship
- Began in 1992 when India established diplomatic ties with Israel,
- With major milestones in 2003 when Ariel Sharon became the first Israeli PM to visit India,
- In 2015 when President Pranab Mukherjee visited Israel, and
- In 2017 when Narendra Modi became the first Indian Prime Minister to visit Israel
- 25•year timeline in which to realise the potential of the strategic partnership.
- Support for an early resumption of peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians.
- India‟s vote at the UN against the decision of the United States
- Mr. Modi visit Palestinians.
- China, Pakistan, Iran & Suadi Arabia
A poor prognosis
National Medical Commission Bill is unlikely to provide a dynamic new thrust to medical care in India- UPSC
- A regulatory body should be expected only to regulate and not to formulate policy,
- Which is the function of Parliament and requires inputs from a number of sources
- Medical Commission is the lack of clarity on its function
- Commission should only be expected to monitor and regulate the training of health•care personnel and maintain professional standards
- What type of medical practitioners should the country train?
- This is a matter that the government should decide.
- Failure of successive governments to promote scientific medicine & integrate the best of indigenous systems into one unified system has led to unhealthy competition among the various
- streams of medicine in India.- Ratio Dr & Citizen – move to just one scientific system of medicine
- “Allopathy” is a term coined by Hahnemann, the founder of homoeopathy,
- Present method of election, where potential candidates have to spend quite a large amount of money and time to get elected
- The election process should be reformed, not replaced.
- Having an almost entirely nominated commission, as the present Bill provides, is unhealthy.
- Proposal to have sections of society other than medical professionals in the commission is laudable
- Medical education –Should private initiative be allowed in medical education?
- Such policy decisions should not be left to the Commission.
- To start a medical college, State governments •first issue a certificate of essentiality.
- The MCI then decides whether the proposed college has enough facilities to start the •first year.
- Subsequently, inspections are done every year till the •first batch of students has completed the final year
- Council finds that some colleges are unable to meet the requirements and withdraws recognition.
- This leaves students in a lurch and they then approach the judiciary to solve their unhappysituation.
- The proposed Commission has no mechanism to prevent this from happening.
- Present Bill is unlikely to provide a dynamic new thrust to medical care in India.
- On the one hand the Commission is expected to formulate policy, but on the other it is to decide fee structure.
- In the end, policy decisions should be decided by policymakers, and not bureaucrats.
Prelims Focus Facts-News Analysis
- Page-1,8 Office of profit: EC wants 20 AAP MLAs disqualified
- setback to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government
- in Delhi, the Election Commission (EC) on Friday recommended to President Ram Nath Kovind that 20 of its MLAs be disqualified for
- holding offices of profit.
- EC‟s counsel(सलाह) is binding on the President.
- Kejriwal must resign, say opponents
- Page-1: Doklam- China repeats claims on territory
Page-1: India admitted to Australia Group
- India on Friday joined the Australia Group
- Established in 1985- After the use of chemical weapons by Iraq in 1984
- Aims to prevent proliferation of biological and chemical weapons, would ensure a more secure world
- India as its 43rd participant.
- Its entry would contribute to international security and non•proliferation objectives
- India joined the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) in 2016 and
- Wassenaar Arrangement (WA) last year.
Page-1: Soon, you can make calls while •flying
- TRAI recommends facility
- Flyers in India, as well as those •flying over the country, may soon be able to make voice calls and remain connected to the Internet even when on board an aircraft, as the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI)
- About, 83% of passengers would prefer to•ywith an airline offering in••flight connectivity and over half (55%) of all in••flight connectivity users have connected more than one device to in- flight Wi•Fi, according to
- annual In••flight Connectivity Survey 2016.
Page-5: Navy confident of commissioning aircraft carrier Vikrant in two years
- After several delays, the Indian Navy is confident of commissioning Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC•1) Vikrant, currently under construction
- at Kochi, by October 2020,
Akshay postpones release of Padman
- U.S. asks Pakistan to prosecute „terrorist‟ Saeed
- U.S. to beat Saudi in oil production
- U.S. is set to overtake Saudi Arabia as the world‟s number two oil producer after Russia year
- „Agri, rural focus likely in Budget‟